How to import, GPS tracks, KML files?

I would like to import GPS tracks or waypoints. Does anyone know a way to do this?
First question: What Android apps do a good job of tracking GPS locations?
Second question: How to import them to SketchUp?

Several Android tracking apps create KML files with the waypoints and tracks.
Is there a way to import KML files to SU?

Aerilius started a plugin to do that. I think he stopped work on it in 2013 when in beta. I tried it on KMZ files from Google Earth unzipped into KML files, but Aerilius’s plugin didn’t work. It said there was no data in the file. I’m not sure why that was.

I am also interested in how to do this.

I would also like to see this resurrected. I agree, Aerilius started a great plugin, but it doesn’t seem to work in newer versions of SketchUp.

The attached plugin imports KML files.importKmlLineString.rb (3.4 KB)

Okay…

I installed the plug-in and have tried using the new dropdown extension to import several kml files that I’ve saved in Google Earth…but none of them are showing up in my skp model!

Has anyone else been able to make this ruby extension work for them?

How about sharing the kml file. Have you geolocated the model to the location of the track?

Coast Fork Trails 17 07 06.kml (336.9 KB)
I’m attaching an example of one of the small KML files I’ve been working with.
It was created by and exported from the Avenza PDF Maps app; the KML works perfectly in Google Earth and ESRI ArcGIS.
The SU model is correctly geolocated with the appropriate aerial background showing up correctly. (I’m actually wanting to import KML’s into Bentley’s Microstation and their advice is to first import into SU, then into Microstation.)
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I don’t know much about KML, but it looks like that Ruby code requires a different version than the one contained in your file. The code is looking for a XML tag “LineString” that does not exist in your file, so it finds no data and fails.

Edit: I looked up the KML specs, and your file uses the gx: extension elements that were added to Google Earth’s implementation of KML as of GE 5.0. The Ruby code expects the older way of encoding data.