How to equally space the distance in between objects on a wall

What is the most efficient way to equally space these three objects of different sizes so that the distances between their edges and the edges of the wall are the same?

I guess I’d use old fashioned math to figure it out. Put all objects side by side,; measure width
Subtract that from width of wall. Divide the difference by 4.
Set guides in on each end by that distance. Place 2 of the objects on the guide edges
Make a guide toward the middle off one of objects the same distance as the first, place the final object on the new guide. DONE.
or
Use AI.

Thank you for your answer. How can I use AI in this instance if I had say 40 objects of different sizes?

Maybe you can get the AI to do the math for you.

Is there an extension out there for this, that takes the widths of all the objects and evenly spaces them?

Nothing I’m aware of. It’s such a simple thing to do with the math @cakrupp gave you it hardly seems worth calling an extension.

Ok thank you Dave!

@oloaiza, the “math” part should be done by
SketchUp’s ‘Divide’ operation on a dummy edge the length op the previously constructed overall size of the spaces. This is extremely accurate and without the use of a calculator.

3 Likes

This is a common calculation that I’ve likely done 100s of times as an architect. No need to make complications.

2 Likes

What is complicated here?
How accurate would be your calculated input against SketchUp?

If the sizes of the objects are unequal, an exact spacing will most often not look good. Like with spacing letters when writing (“kerning”) the eye is the best judge.

2 Likes

Maybe Curic space ?

I hear you on that point when it comes its application to typography given all the serifs and different type faces. In museum and gallery work it is a common practice when it comes to layouts of paintings or framed works on paper to have equal spacing in between work (most common in a horizontal array or sequence on wall). However some of the same elements you are refering to in terms of layout are also applied at times ( justified left, justified right, salon style (which is an arbitrary, more mosaic form of arrangement, radial layout, staggered, etc.)

Thank you! Yes I think this form of automation for spacing is gets closer to the type of extension I am looking for. I noticed that there is a way to space from centers of pieces or their origins but not “between the widths” of each piece so that all the gaps are the same.

Click in sequence on the scenes tabs of this SU file for ideas.

Equally spaced pictures on a wall.skp (236.7 KB)

2 Likes

Only as refined as SU can make it. I can do 10 decimal places. What level of refinement is too much here.
In SU there will be more steps, at least it seems, than with a calculator. My point is we don’t always need a computer. This can easily done with pencil and paper as well, or even in your brain. Oh God, don’t do that!

For those who want to use Curic Space, read what is written in the status bar at the bottom left.

stp-06

4 Likes

Hi @jean_lemire_1, where in the process did you use a calculator, :wink:
(it’s on way to accurately do it in SketchUp with only native tools without math and/or calculator)

If for example these were pictures on a wall, then yes, a ruler, peace of paper and pencil would be quite enough. But here it involves accurate modeling, being at the computer with SketchUp and as OP asked, equally spacing in presented model)

However, we see in this video a result of regular spacing between the components.

2 Likes

I used no calculator. I let SU do all the calculations.

1 Like