How to Draw interior wall for house. . .?

I am looking to draw a the rooms of a house with interior wall details like studs, wallboard, electrical outlets, plumbing, etc. I’m sure this topic has asked before. I was hoping to find a tutorial that I could just follow along.

Thanks,

If you’re going to make that detailed a model, which will represent a goodly investment of your time, you would be ill-advised to just sit down and start winging it.

You’d be much better off to spend some time learning the toolset and interface first thing. That way, you’ll have a fair idea of what SU can do, and a rough idea of what’s entailed. Investing that time and time to practice common constructions will end up saving you time and frustration, and your work will be better and easier to manage.

I say all this, because I think it would be a mistake to avoid tutorials and videos that don’t seem directly instrumental or relevant to your project. There aren’t many tools in SU, and a maestro with SU can use the same tools and techniques for many different kinds of applications.

So go to YouTube’s The SketchUp Channel, and go crazy.

Now, other users will probably come along and tell you exactly what to do, and they’ll probably be right. Nonetheless, you would be wise to give yourself a general foundation.

-Gully

From the kinds of queries about building model errors we see here all the time, I would strongly suggest that you study and completely understand SketchUp’s inferencing system and VCB. Failure to use them correctly leads to features that are ever so slightly out of alignment, and sooner or later these crooked things rise up and bite you!

Is www.sketchupschool.com any good?

Just to get a simple win, is there a tutorial to building a wall using 2x4s?

I strongly agree with @Gully_Foyle’s advice to you. However you would also be well advised to review how others have approached this process. To that end viewing the first three videos included in the following Google search is suggested:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=draw+a+house+in+sketchup

Bear in mind that you also will need to familiarize yourself with how to accurately document and record existing conditions including field measuring each of the extant spaces. (A process that, depending on the layout, is not as simple as one may think.) Before doing any work on the computer, it is good form to assemble an existing condition line drawing (could be a freehand sketch) of all levels of the layout with dimensions on paper and develop your computer work from this effort. For interior plans, your drawing(s) should include wall thicknesses, door and window openings, sill heights, direction of door swings, stair locations, closet locations, plumbing fixtures, chase walls, locations of fireplaces and flues, floor to floor heights, floor mounted equipment and any other significant items that may be featured in the structure. Indicate your ceiling height(s) too. You may also want to include ceiling light fixtures, electrical duplex receptacle locations and mechanical vent locations. When you develop your SketchUp plan, you should pay attention to the inferencing engine and VCB as @slbaumgartner correctly pointed out.

Also use the rectangle tool to create walls to ensure that both faces remain parallel and use the push pull tool to establish wall height. Use scenes to generate each plan level. To view the plans set the scene using the Parallel Projection under Camera.
Failing these recommendations, you can always hire a competent architect who is easy to work with and is licensed to provide professional services in your jurisdiction.

Edited to add the following:

Yes, it is a decent resource to aid in learning SketchUp, but it probably will not provide necessary technical information on the proper way to develop rehab plans for your house.

I’m not familiar with nor prepared to endorse any of the commercial training outfits. Indeed, I’m not exactly deeply familiar with any of the books and videos either, since, after all, I learned SU ten years ago. (Well, I still consult the Knowledge Base, such as it is, regularly.)

But it’s not as though there aren’t abundant free and not free resources out there; the reference I gave you barely scratches the surface of the learning resources available. The simple expedient of a Google Search turns up scads of them.

I’m not sure what a “simple win” means, but I’m guessing that your idea of winning and mine are different.

-Gully

Gully_Foyle,
When and how did you get started with SketchUp?
What kind of things do you do with SketchUp?

BTW Gully, you come across as being somewhat pompous.
I’ll go back from where I came. . . And not ask another question here again.
I was told, "Just ask the helpful Community. . ."
Gee-Whiz. . .

You will find in any forum a variety of characters and opinions, despite your perceptions you will find the members including Gully very informative. So please put aside emotions and continue your inquiries

As for your basic framing, model a 4x2 as a component, figure how scaling works, Though components are same, they can be scaled differently
As you have Pro, you may include a dynamic element, add data like plate, stud,and so on. Perhaps you may use a ready made one from the warehouse,

Share your model and frustrations on this forum and we will give our feed back,

What @Gully_Foyle has been trying to point out is that you really need to understand the basics before moving on to a specific type of model.
If you don’t know the basic tools you can’t follow a tutorial on something more advanced.

Here I have used only the Rectangle, Pushpull and Move tools and I have created a component and a group.
If your current knowledge level of Sketchup is less than needed to follow that then you need to study up on the basic tools to give you a grounding on which we can help you build on.

I would advocate the complete opposite to the advice dished up above: Try. Try to draw it and see what happens.

It’s unlikely you will get everything spot on and you will experience dead-ends, failures and hours of working on something only to discover that something you did in step 3 has screwed you over for the rest of the model and you need to scrap it all and start again. Do not be afraid of failure.
BUT along with the downs, you will experience ups and moments of clarity where everything works and you discover a better way to achieve your goals.

When you get stuck, or think “there must be a better way to do this”, then you will have a more targeted question to ask and a better idea of what to google for and get much better answers.

Wow @fluffycone,

That’s somewhat presumptuous…although your analysis may or may not be accurate. In making that statement, you become guilty of the very thing of which you labeled @Gully_Foyle. In this case, I considered his responses to you to be offered only in a spirit of helpfulness,

As of this post, you have been involved in this forum community for less than a day. It may be more advantageous to avail yourself of some of the constructive criticism to be obtained at this venue and to divest yourself of such a thin temperament. You would be at a loss for having permanently separated from the forum so quickly. Give yourself an opportunity to see what benefits may accrue through your association with this community of fellow SU enthusiasts.

I reiterate my earlier advice to you. Seriously consider what I posted in the 2nd paragraph:

This is a general approach for doing what you asked about with specific instructions.

fluffy,

Not to belabor the surprisingly sour turn this discussion took, sometimes one must simply state the obvious: you are apparently the sort of person to hurl personal epithets when someone disagrees with you and then run away and hide. Pretty classy…for a three-year-old.

-Gully

Hello, this may help you move forward: the link will take you to You Tube and start with the for beginners parts 1 and 2. After that he provides a 4 part tutorial for making a shed. Think of it as one room of the house you are working with. More important is that the studs, floor, rafters are just that regardless and will be for anything. The steps will introduce to you HOW to manipulate them with the tools and basics from the first two videos. Build your mind first, as the foundation is the start of any home…Peace…

Rather than trying to become a full-out carpenter/electrician/plumber, I would suggest finding some components on the warehouse that will help you.

1. Dynamic wall frame component: this will add a stud every “x” amount of spacing that you scale that component for, and provide you with the bones of the wall.
  2. Drywall: this is an easy one. Simply create a face over your interior walls and pull it by 3/8". If you want to get really into it, create a drywall board component 4’x8’ and add accordingly to cover your walls.
  3. Electrical & Plumbing: I would search for these components on the warehouse and insert them, then use the “intersect” tool to remove any overlap between these and the two components I mentioned above.

While I get wanting to model everything by yourself, the warehouse is there for a reason. Work smart (by finding the right components that others have made) AND hard (by modeling the interior of a home).