How much resource is saved by converting DCs into ordinary components?

I’m still trying to simplify a large and over-complex model. There are a few hundred door components, all originally DCs, but now there are only a few different ones.

Does it save much resource to explode and remake them as ordinary components? Does that (after purging unused) make the file any smaller, or speed up zooming, orbiting, etc?

Does their Attribute dictionary take up much space, and do they redraw or create multiple unique component definitions while still DCs?

back-save a copy to v6 and see if it behaves any better…

john

I would expect that the answer varies all over the place depending on the structure and complexity of the DCs. Each instance of a DC needs to store its individual option values. That can be a lot more than the independent properties of each instance of an ordinary component (e.g. transformation).

I’m not sure I understand this - did v6 not support DCs at all?

I thought in general that must be true. Just wondered if anyone already had a quantifiable idea of 'how much".

I’ll try to replace all the DC doors in a part of the model with one static component, and see what measurable difference it makes to the file size. Or maybe first see if there’s any difference for just one?

no, and back-saving keeps the components but strips the attributes…

john

That sounds like a quick way to strip them out

do the DCs have hidden parts? if so use out liner to spot and delete them

I’m going to (in some cases, already have). Some had lots of detail, totally invisible inside a wall.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.