How do you draw dashed lines in SU Pro

I want to show a thickened concrete slab area under the surface on a foundation plan. I cannot find any options for line types in SU. I see options in LayOut, but that is not where I am developing the models. How does one draw dashed or dotted lines?

Try this…

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/dashed-line-plugin/32693

Thanks Samyell, I’ll take a look at it tomorrow.​

There is no good way in SU as it is 3D modelling software not really designed for standard 2D work.

I agree with Simon. The plugin I linked to in the thread Sam provided is really a kluge at best. It will create the appearance of dashed lines but it’s not ideal. Better to make dashed lines in LayOut.

​
That is what I was afraid of. I work around the issue, probably by lightly
shading the area instead of dashed lines. That might work just as well.

Thanks for the input.​

That is what I was afraid of. I work around the issue, probably by lightly
shading the area instead of dashed lines. That might work just as well.

Thanks for the input.​

Some years back, I worked out a way to show dashed lines in SU, albeit being a bit wonky, it has been a suitable workaround for me for quite a while now and I probably will continue to use it until a native feature is developed for this purpose.

The relevant post can be found within this referenced thread:
https://forums.sketchup.com/t/dashed-line-options-in-su/6137/6

The plugin linked to in the Sam’s post does something similar. It uses Divide instead of drawing perpendicular lines and then it hides alternate segments instead of erasing them. This makes it possible to select the entire dashed line by triple clicking on it. You could do the same manually. Or use Divide and just erase the alternate segments if you prefer not to have the hidden ones.

Thank all of you! I feel certain that I am now heading in the right direction. This is a similar solution to an AutoCAD issue I had years ago. A little work at first but save it as a Block or in this case a Group and import it as needed from there on. Thanks again.

Or how about a component if you plan to import it as needed?

If you use the plugin or manually divide and hide, the dashed lines can be used as a border for a face. Divide and erase will prevent formation of a face.

In this case, I think simply turning on Back Edges in the foundation plan view might help.

1 Like

Many of the uses for different line styles would be fulfilled if LayOut let line styles be applied to Sketchup viewports. People are already using stacked viewports and this would add a very useful “workaround” to, for instance, showing ceilings in plan views.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.