How do I get rid of these lines on models I import from 3D Warehouse

Thes extra lines are on models I import from 3D Warehouse? I thought they were something with smoothing at first but then after playing around for a while and hiding some lines and playing with smoothing again, they seem to be extra lines on top of the models’ edge? And then a weird extra one through each face? How can I stop this from happening? Or get rid of them faster than using the eraser?
They are downloaded as a Collada file as from my understanding that’s what I should be using since I have Make 2017

This is the particular model in the screenshot above
model 3.dae (264.6 KB)

try this
else “CleanUp³”
https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/046175e5-a87a-4254-9329-1accc37a5e21/clean-up

Tried already but tried again and still nope :confused:

tt_cleanup-3.4.3.rbz (62.0 KB)

It worked! thank you so much!

1 Like

skp44F9.tmp.skp (129.3 KB)

Thom Thom - thanks to him, he is super human

Reviving an old thread…I’m on Sketchup 2017 and trying to remove the lines from a Collada model. I’ve installed the Cleanup3 extension, but can’t seem to find options for it anywhere? I see it installed in Extension manager, but I do not see “CleanUp” as a toolbar/menu option?

Did you also install the required TT_Lib2? Did you restart SketchUp after installing both of them? Did you install the files correctly?

Bingo! Thx that did it.

Hmm…didn’t seem to clean up any lines? Do I need to soften them first?

Yes. Soften the edges first. The edges you are seeing are required to support the faces.

Hmmm…how do you determine what to use here? Tried these, said it cleaned up 34 edges, but still has the hard lines?

Just keep dragging to the right until the edges disappear, you can also use the eraser tool, hold Ctrl while you pass it on the lines you want to smooth.

To clarify, CleanUp removed extra lines that aer not connected to anything. Edges between faces are smoothed when you use the Soften/Smooth dialog.

1 Like

Did you have the edges in the component selected?

Managed to figure it out, a combination of having to drill further and further into the grouped object and playing with the eraser/smooth/clean functions.

Thanks everyone for the help!

You need to scroll just a bit further down…