How can you open more than one SketchUp model or file at a time?

There must be a way to have multiple instances of SketchUp open at one time, or multiple windows of the same instances. I see tutorial videos where people have more than one SketchUp window open, but I can’t figure out how to do it. Whenever I try to open a second file it always makes me close the one that is currently open. I am running SketchUp Pro 2021 in Windows… If I try to open a .skp file directly from Windows Explorer it only gives me SketchUp 2017 as program options. There must be a simple solution to this that I am not seeing. Thanks for any help/

Open a second session of SketchUp. I sometimes have three or four sessions going at once time.

Did you install SketchUp 2021 y right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing run as adminstrator? If not, close SketchUp and do that. If prompted with choices like Uninstall and Repair, choose Repair.

Please update your profile

As @DaveR says… open SketchUp from its exe in its Program-Files subfolder - you should have a shortcut on your Desktop - have you deleted it ? - it can be remade…

Then in Windows you will have new instances of SketchUp running in parallel… each with a different model open…

On a MAC it is somewhat different - there’s only ever one instance of SketchUp running at any time, but that can have several models open at once…

Thanks for the replies. When I click on the SketchUp exe it simply takes me to the session that is already open. But by playing around with it now I discovered that if I right-click on the exe then I can choose “Open new Window” and that works.

Dave, I don’t remember how I ran the installation but I will try running the Repair.

If you double click on the desktop icon (not the icon in the taskbar) it should open a new session.

Good idea to repair if you don’t remember doing it.