How Can I Turn An Image Into A Floor Plan?

Hi,
I’ve been working on a new project recently, and have received images of old floor plans from a client. However, after scanning these in and putting the image in Sketchup and Layout they turn out wonky and I am unable to trace the lines correctly. Is there another way to do this? A much simpler way? Thanks.

• Freddie WR

What information do you have? It might be easier to use the images as a reference to look at and draw the floor plan accurately from dimensions you’ve got.

@DaveR Have All of The Dimensions, But Not The Wall Thickness. Or Where Exactly The Walls Start And End Within The Interior.

How old floor plans? To what scale? What size scanner?
To trace old plans, for good results you need the originals to be large scale working drawings. Then, you scan them to a good resolution (150 to 400 DPI) This usually creates image files that are larger than the maximum of 1024 by 1024 pixels supported by SketchUp (the blurriness you see is because SU is reducing all imported bitmaps to fit to this size). The size can be increased to a workable 2048 x 2048 or 4096 x 4096 if your graphics card supports it by turning on the “Use maximum texture size” option in Window menu>Preferences>OpenGL

If the original drawing has dimensions in place, you could just use SketchUp to “draw by numbers” without a raster underlay. The best option is to have proper measured drawings.

@Anssi The Floor Plans Are From 2003. Although Digitalised, I Have Only Been Given A Printed Copy That’s Around The Size Of An A5 Page Being Scanned By Phone (I Have Checked That It Gives The Better Quality Than My Scanner). I Am Unable To Get The Digital Copy As Has Been Lost On The Clients Computer. I Have Tried To Convert It Into A DWG So that All I Would Get Are The Outlines Of The Plans But Sketchup Will Not Accept The File. I Am Attempting To Trace The Old Plans But Need To Be Done To Precision And I’m Not Sure How To Go About It.

Precision only comes with drawing by the numbers, so first choice is to construct as much as you can from the numbers you have, then scale the images to fit what you’ve modeled to fill in the rest.

@RTCool Will Give This A Go Thanks!

@RTCOOL I’m Still Not Quite Getting The Results I Need Are There Any Other Methods Other Than Tracing?

Can you post an example drawing you’re working with?

@RTCool (Picture In The Link) https://imgur.com/zncjBEr

Right, so it’s not even close to straight or square, so don’t even bother trying to trace that. There’s plenty of dimension strings. Starting with the biggest overall dimensions first, model the over all shape of the whole thing. Then use the smaller dimensions to put in the doors and windows. After exhausting all the dimensions, fill in the rest with the best you can do with the image. If you can print out your image to approximate scale, use an old fashioned architects scale to measure the drawing for a best guess. You could try placing and scaling the image in your model, but you’d have to keep tweeking the scale and rotation and what not for each little area of the plan you work on.

2 Likes

@RTCool Thanks, Will Add The Exterior And Will Likely Have To Measure The Property For Futher Detail

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.