Homestyler

I just found out about this program for making floor plans and it’s relatively easy to use. You don’t have to worry as much about line segments, offsets, and stuff, so you can spend more time focusing on the design. I just figured I’d share this helpful program…

After I finish this floor plan, I’m planning on modeling it in SketchUp for some renders. I like how much control SketchUp gives you over design details (components, textures, etc.). For me, Homestyler looks like a good planning tool to use side-by-side with SketchUp.

This is what the UI looks like:

Edit:
Here’s the floor plan I came up with… Now to model it in SketchUp.

Could you explain how to start in sketchup after exporting the dwg?

I love the simplicity of homestyler, as I don´t have any idea of modelling. But I love the renders that you can make with other software.

I just tried Twinmotion, and it look REALLY cool.

It would be great to have a tool to export from homestyler to twinmotion.

Not sure, but you could trace it. Maybe export an image, then use the tape measure tool to make the pic to scale. After that, you can trace it and type in dimensions. By the way, Twinmotion does look REALLY cool…

I also use both Homestyler and Sketchup, and I want to know if there’s a way to import .skp files as a 3d model to Homestyler? There seems to be an option but they ask for a .max file. Can I do the same with .skp?

It works with SU. Read their suggestions (FAQ) on preparing models. It seems best to triangulate everything to get better shading. I use Artisan subdivide and then soften/smooth dialog, then fix textures again. I think with max you get rendered textures and better looking geometry in Homestyler. I am not sure, but maybe that is how the catalog models are made.

Apparently the import system is in Beta and it’s the slowest part of using Homestyler if you want to use imports.

You can also model some basic shapes in Homestyler. I’ve used it for ceilings. It’s sort of a bizarre parody of SU modeling and very limited but responsive for simple shapes.