Home Renovation - Design and Council Documentation Development

Hi All,

I am going to renovate my home in the near future. I have Sketchup Pro and AutoCad.

AutoCAD (2D) is really good for me to document the floor plans, elevations etc. as I am fairly proficient with it but as its not 3D. I have had a few goes at documenting the house and the reno in Sketchup and am continuing to learn.

The question I have is what’s the best way to document the reno and existing house so I can use the modelling of Sketchup but also to develop a set of documents for council approval. Council will want plans, elevations, sections etc. Is the best process to set up the plan in Lay Out (I’ve not used yet but don’t imagine it will be too foreign) and then develop the plans into 3D? If I do, how do I take plan and section cuts as well as take elevations?

Cheers.

Hi. I too was an AutoCAD user for close to 23 years and was extremely proficient at it and my primary use of the same was for drafting plans and elevations for home interiors and documenting the same. However, it wasn’t easy to use it for 3D and hence I decided to give SketchUp a try. It took me a little less than 2 months to become just as proficient at both SketchUp and Layout and believe me, once you get the hang of it, it shall be hard for you to go back to AutoCAD. Documentation in Layout is super easy and the level of detail you can show in Layout is amazing. I would suggest you go ahead and jump in to using and learning SketchUp. There are a lot of learning tools online, both - on the SketchUp website and on YouTube, as well, to help you through your journey. Wishing you all the best for the same.

1 Like

Hi devenshah, thanks for the encouragement.

I am plugging away with Sketchup. The question I have is ‘what’s the best way to document the reno and existing house so I can use the modelling of Sketchup but also to develop a set of documents for council approval’?

Do I start with Lay Out and then build the model off that?
How can I generate sections and elevations?
Can Sketchup generate the plans I need?

Cheers

I suggest you do all your work using SketchUp and create Scenes with the help of the Create Section Planes tool and then import the SketchUp file into Layout to do all your documentation for submission to the council.