Hobbyist woodworker question

make
license

Forgive me, but I have failed at answering this question through searches and reading threads.
Can I design, say, a table in Make. Then build a wooden table that is at least roughly based on that model. And then sell the built table?
It isn’t 100% clear to me what constitutes “output of the software” in the EULA that restricts to non-commercial use. The table is neither a direct output nor even a completely faithful re-creation of the software design.

FYI: I am a hobbyist artist and woodworker (full time breast cancer scientist), who very occasionally sells a piece of art or woodworking. However, I don’t come close to making enough to even recoup my tools and material costs. I make just enough to so that I feel not QUITE so bad about spending so much money on my hobbies. That is, I cannot even come close to justifying $700 for Pro.

Exactly what activity turns a hobbyist into a commercial user?

I expect the best course of action is to contact SketchUp customer support directly with your question and get an answer directly from them.

I have sent an email, through from what I gather from other somewhat similar threads dealing with licensing, it isn’t likely one they will answer.

It’s too bad really that there isn’t a commercial SketchUp option for occasional hobbyists like myself that can’t afford Pro (and definitely don’t need the year of support included). If I can’t at least sell a table I initially designed through SketchUp, then I just won’t use it. There’s nothing I can’t do (for free and commercially) in Blender that I can do in Make. But SketchUp is clearly far superior in UI and function for little woodworking projects. Oh well.

He was asking about the terms of the End User License Agreement for Make which prohibits the use of SketchUp Make for commercial work. That is, situations where it is used to make money. It has nothing to do with where the design of the piece of furniture comes from.

When similar question arises the SU team often suggest you should hire a lawyer if you are not sure how to interpret the EULA. I actually don’t think anyone actually knows the answer except maybe the lawyer who wrote the EULA.

lol. Yeah that’s not gonna happen. Thanks for the reply. I think the upshot is just that I shouldn’t waste my time learning sketchup when I can accomplish the same things for free with other software (even though I much prefer the UI of sketchup for these projects). I’m not interested in walking a hazy legal line for my hobby.

I’m no lawyer and not even a native English speaker but I’m thinking selling a home made design piece for less than its material cost maybe counts as hobby use and not commercial use.

I use to work with a old contracts guy and his favorite saying was: “In contract law 2+2 is approximately equal to 5”. I would think any reasonable person will think you are meeting the intent of the requirement. I would not have even posted here.:grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.