Help With Circle Barrel Face

When drawing with circles that I have created after the push-pull tool, the barrel face portion distorts when I cut into it with another shape, then using the intersecting tool, though not terrible but noticeable. in another recent examples, a screw that I had drawn inserting it into a box, thinking I could create inside threads trying to create a nut, after the intersecting tool just destroys the threads, after using the intersecting tool, trying all three examples that that tool offers. I’m using the Make version not the Pro. It has done this on other past versions of SketchUp. Is this part of SketchUp that is normal, to be expected or am I doing something wrong? Thanks John

There are examples? Why don’t you show them here (images, models, …)?

Cotty Thanks for helping me I put an example in my warehouse under my name jSpro. Thank you.

I’m sorry, but I’m finding that very difficult to underdstand. How do you “draw with a circle…created after the push-pull tool”? I don’t even know what that means. And what is a barrel face?

Could you try rephrasing your question? Also, as @Cotty says, examples of the model really help to understand and diagnose the problem, although the written words and the model should tell a consistent story.

-Gully

It’s customary to simply provide a url.

Barrel face I refer to is if you have a wooden barrel there would be the top and bottom and the sides that hold the water. The sides is what I refer as a face or the sides. I sent an example in my warehouse (JSpro) named example. Thanks John

Cotty - I apologize, the Drawing name in my warehouse is called example. Thanks John

Would love to send as a url but do not know how. John

You can copy the url from your browser and paste it in your post like this:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf50cd129-20fa-4a4e-9ad9-5d77e6e1a8b5

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf50cd129-20fa-4a4e-9ad9-5d77e6e1a8b5

Ok, understood. Thank you. Learn something new everyday. Here is my url (link) https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=uf50cd129-20fa-4a4e-9ad9-5d77e6e1a8b5

What are your thoughts about my issue? Thanks again,

A face is an individual flat object. A curved contour made of multiple faces with the edges softened is called a “surface.” I would have taken the “barrel faces” to be the flat top and bottom.

I’m still not getting your “barrel face distortion” issue.

Inside threads and outside threads are identical geometry. The only difference is your point of view. So to cut threads in an object, just insert a thread object and open up the bore. No need to intersect, except, of course, to cut the ends to length.

You need to learn about face fronts (white) and face backs (blue). Look up the Reverse Faces and Orient Faces commands.

Don’t force people to go searching for your examples. Give themn a hyperlink. Make it easy to understand your questions if you expect an answer.

In some cases, especially if you don’t happen to be Ernest Hemmingway, neither a written question nor an example is sufficient by itself. Carefully describe your question in words and use an example to illustrate it.

-Gully

By the way, Having been in mechanical design for thirty years, I’m also rather a nut boy.

OK, now that we can see your model we need you to clarify what is going wrong.

In what way does the barrel face “distort”? I get what I expected, so this must be a matter of understanding.

Regarding the screw thread example, your issue is probably that you need to realize that intersect acts only where faces intersect each other. Inside the round “nut” there are no faces! In SU Pro you could use one of the solid tools, but in SU Make you will need to take a different approach. For example, copy the screw into the nut, do an intersect faces (to get the boundaries where it enters and exits), and then delete the extraneous geometry.

Thank you for your help.

The Barrel face or curve contour in my example in my drawing if you look closely is distorted. john

Very nice would love to learn. Is there some YouTube examples? John

That distortion is an artifact of light and shade which I would call a bug. I’ve been seeing that kind of distortion through six versions.

-Gully

if you toggle ‘Hidden Geometry’ you can see that your edges don’t align causing the creases…
If you at least have a common centre it improves, and there are other tricks…
john

I will try this. I guess I need to practice more Thanks

Don’t think of those hidden edges as obstacles to work around–instead, use them to assemble your parts with dead nuts accuracy. Keep hidden geometry turned on as you assemble parts. Use a point along a hidden edge to grab Part A and stick it directly to a hidden edge on Part B.

-Gully

the easiest way to minim ize the ‘creases’ is to give SU additional places to crease to…

A somewhat similar technique is to create a concentric hidden edge running around the visible intersection, which in some cases limits the propagation of the visual “distortion,” although not so much in this case.

You’ll notice that the underlying geometry is unaffected, so it’s not really “distortion.” As I said, it seems to be an arifact of the light and shade algorithm.

-Gully