Help with alignment and 'deleting' a portion of the model

Hi, I’m just in the process of teaching myself this (wonderful) program and having difficulty ‘cutting into’ the design I made as well as aligning 2 pieces I combined to create the ‘cup’ shape in the rendering. Can anyone help? Any assistance would be appreciated.

To explain more visuslaly, in the attached image the red arrow is the section part I’m trying to remove and the orange arrow points to the ‘joint’ between the 2 parts stacked on top of each other.

Also, what’s my next step to get this milled at a CNC shop? Is the model ready as is?

Any help would be amazing and thank you in advance for looking!

g650xDashWIP.skp (660.9 KB)

Your problem is that you have a mixture of loose geometry and grouped geometry. The edge and arcs you want to cut the surface are loose, not in the group containing what you want them to cut. You need to get the relevant things into the same context. Use Edit->cut, open the relevant Group/component, and then Edit->paste in place to get things together.

Also, in your model, if you orbit around you will see a sort of shimmering effect on the area pointed to by the red arrow. That is called “z-fighting” and is a symptom of the fact that you have two independent surfaces located at the same place.

Thank you, I will try the Edit>Cut suggestion tonight.

Regarding the Shimmering, the reason they are co-located is because I was using the draw tool on what I thought was the surface I wanted to to create a cut out from. My thought was to cut out the shape (from/out of the top most piece) and then somehow ‘reverse extrude’ it to delete itself…

How do I then properly remove the cut-out selected by the red arrow?

Thanks for your guidance…

Thank you, I will try the Edit>Cut suggestion tonight.

Regarding the Shimmering, the reason they are co-located is because I was using the draw tool on what I thought was the surface I wanted to to create a cut out from. My thought was to cut out the shape (from/out of the top most piece) and then somehow ‘reverse extrude’ it to delete itself…

How do I then properly remove the cut-out selected by the red arrow?

Thanks for your guidance…