Help please! Problems with my new MacBook Pro 16", Sketchup Pro 19.3 very slow

@MikeWayzovski what is the common denominator of the bug? 3DW? Catalina? 16” MBP?

It seems to be related with dragging a file or component in the work area. High spec machines are affected , so it seems,
They are working on a solution, hopefully, with the next maintenance it will be fixed.

(I requested a new iMac to test) :joy:

Which bug and what did Katya have to say?

It is called ‘Mac Monster’’. There was a simular ‘Monster Machine’ bug on high spec Windows machines, last year.
But this one only affects new,high spec macs…

They need more data, like recordings of the taskmanager while performing the actions.

@slbaumgartner, in the DNS tab I can see a list of 5 codes with a lot of numbers…

@MikeWayzovski, do I need to return my MBP? It’s brand new 1 week old😩.

Just an update! I did a MacOS Recovery and since today SU is working as it should! No bug or some kind. Also my paintbucket is now ok.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

What was it you meant when you said you did a MacOS Recovery?

Do you know what version of Catalina your computer came with, and what version is it using now?

It means I made a new start with my MBP. It came with Catalina 10.15.1 and this is still the case.

Thanks. Partly I was asking did you restart with Command-R held down, or Option-R, to do a local or network restore. If so did you have to set up your account again?

The 2.4 and 5.0 ghz are for the processor, not Wifi.

I thought of something that would explain slowness, and where being on 2.4 GHz WiFi would make it even slower…

Catalina seems to default to having your desktop and documents folders being on your iCloud Drive. That can be convenient if you’re using two computers and want to carry on working on something without having to upload files all the time. But, it’s not so good when you download a large file (which then immediately gets uploaded to your iCloud Drive), or if you’re working on large SketchUp files that you think are on your local drive, when they’re not.

I was using Catalina from its first beta, and it took me some time to notice the slowness (I have fast WiFi at home and at SketchUp). What gave it away eventually is that it was taking a long time for the recent files thumbnails to draw, because I had been testing several large files that I thought were in my local downloads folder.

Anyway, there is a setting where you can turn that option off. Things become faster then.

2 Likes

@colin, what exact sequence did you follow to get that panel? I hunted around and though I am probably being a blockhead I couldn’t find any way to open that particular panel from the Apple ID preferences…

Could this also be the cause of extremely lagging when importing a 3D Warehouse model?
We have some cases where rhe activity monitor shows SketchUp being non-responsive

I wasn’t even sure where it was, I just typed iCloud into the search box. The longer route is to click on Apple ID, then iCloud in the list you see.

Then click on Options in the iCloud Drive entry.

I think this could also be behind lots of potential ‘ruby extension’ woes…

john

Well, after some more research it turns out the reason I don’t see the same thing as you is that I never set up icloud drive in the first place! I have had DropBox forever and didn’t see a need to set up another cloud-based service, regardless of how much hyperbole Apple gives it :wink: Also I avoid ever putting any SketchUp files onto a cloud or network share because of all the issues we hear about due to it.

I never set up anything or knew these panes existed but some apps are checked off. How about the “Look me up by email”, that seems to give others access?.. There’s an app sending things to icloud that I downloaded and used once. Wonderful. An internet service where options are setup without your knowledge. I guess that’s sort of the times we live in.

Well, you probably missed some lines…
Should have clicked decline?

1 Like

Very interested in this thread. My MacBook Pro has the same problem. The materials/textures functions are usually incredibly slow to work with, regardless of my file size. It may have something to do with imported materials (which I usually import from my hard drive), but it’s definitely something I’ve struggled with.

1 Like