Help please! Curved surfaces, floating stairs ... confused!

I need to preserve accurate arc information and geometry must be accurate for CNC work. Nosings, risers, treads, dadoing etc. must be accurate.

These 2 tread assemblies are updside down and all geometry is accurate.

For a direct bend I think shape bender is probably the better tool, as you say. Flowify really comes into its with more complex stuff. TrueBend not so true in this instance!

If I carefully calculate the length of the stair and create the arc at the same length, then the stair would be much more accurate.

I think I may still be going about it incorrectly even after following your gif guides. So far I am unable to get the smooth arcs on the bottom, then to offset them and fill in the bottom face. At some point I also deleted the inside face of the rotunda wall above the arches as you’ll see on top of the landing. Hopefully this will open even when saved from my version.rotunda,stairs.skp (285.1 KB)

In case that other file won’t open for you … rotunda,stairs_SU14.skp (285.1 KB)

First of all, you have to get used to working with groups and components, and then to assign to the layers.
I’ve redesigned and arranged your drawing with groups and layers. rotunda,stairs-2015.skp (281.2 KB)

To ease your work on that curved stair, it’s a good idea to make your four-edged step. You had them made of arches and some steps had at least 5 edges.

Thank you! Now that it is clear (my fault for not understanding this previously from your explanations) that the step edges are lines and not arcs it all makes much more sense. Again, I really appreciate your time! I will watch some tutorials on using components and groups because you’re correct that I am not comfortable using them yet.

Thanks!

I continue to encounter challenges with the rotunda. See attached file; I am trying to cut out the arched windows on the rotunda above the entry. When I select everything and intersect the faces with the model, I am able to cut out the exterior with no issues. However, when attempting to cut out the interior face of the windows it actually removes the entire interior curved face of the rotunda all the way to the floor. Can you advise what steps I am doing incorrectly? Is this an instance where I should be creating a group or using layers? Thank you!archedwindows.skp|attachment (299.8 KB)

You have to work with groups, components and layers, otherwise it will be harder and harder for you to work on the project, plus you risk having more and more errors.

I left you with the other two window voids to remove the extra parts
archedwindows-2015.skp (337.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you! Would you mind explaining the steps you took for this so I can understand better how groups/components/layers were utilized?

Use Del on keyboard to delete faces and edges.

Make groups and assign them to layers (double-click to select multiple - faces+edges)

You should watch the tutorials posted by SketchUp on their Youtube page, are well done and with more explanations.

Thank you again for your generosity with your time. I’ll be spending time on SU’s YouTube page this week.

Hi, these are incredible tutorials and gif’s you have created, thank you so much for posting them. I am a SU novice and am modeling a house design with a curved stair in a circular room. I will probably have several questions in the future but in the meantime are there any specific tutorials you would recommend specifically on curved components. Thanks!

You’re welcome!

Open a new post to give details about what you mean by “curved components”. You’ll probably find tutorials if you’re searching on Youtube using keywords.

2 Likes