Help Panning & Zooming while drawing a line / shape

A scroll wheel mouse is essential for “proficient” use of sketchup, sure you can do it all by changing tools all the time but it really slows down the creative process. If you want to up your efficiency even more and be able to work with two hands simultaneously, then I highly recommend a 3D space mouse (3D connexion). This occupies 2" x 2" of desk space and allows fluid navigation in any dimension in sketchup (up, down, forward, backwards, side to side and tilting, and rotation)… this can easily be used in the left hand (if you are right handed) with the simultaneous use of a regular mouse in the right hand. It’s hard to describe just how instinctive and fluid the 3D mouse is to navgate a model (either in camera mode or object mode) until you try it, but you will not be dissapointed. The zoom/ track in feature is also not impeded by sketchup’s slowdown when you approach near geometry.

1 Like

You click by pressing down. Just as you would on the track-pad of a mac laptop.

There are tools to modify the preferences and add short-cuts, but I shouldn’t need to, in my humble opinion. And it seems like I might not. It seems like there are multiple solutions.

I like the idea presented by whiterabbitdesigncompany. I am a photographer by trade so spend a lot of time on a Wacom and on the trackpad and am comfortable with that, so having a piece of hardware I can put away when I am not using Sketchup is a great solution.

THANK-YOU… Awesome… I picked up the wireless 3D Connexion Space Mouse… May upgrade to one with more buttons… not sure yet… But this thing will pay for itself many many many times over.

Glad it worked out for you. I’m a big fan of it ( I have no connection to 3D connexion, just so you know) and it’s surprisingly a little know tool. I have two of them, the big one with all the buttons and the notebook one, but I have to say that all I ever use of either is the main knob (rarely use any buttons, so I don’t think you need to upgrade). It also wil work for zooming in photoshop too. It is one of those tools you have to use to fully appreciate its fluid motion through 3D space, and as you say will pay for itself in efficiency. I would also like to add that I have tried a number of mice too, and have found the logitech anywhere MX mouse to be the best (for me) it’s small and the scroll wheel is made of stainless steel and can be flicked for large moves and the wheel spins and spins as it has mass for momentum making moves really fast. You can click the scroll wheel and it will work on clicks. However, where I can, as I do a lot of this work, I use the Evoluent vertical mouse as it reduces stress on the wrist, the hand stays in a very natural pose, takes a bit of getting used to.