Having trouble fitting a curve to a face

As the picture summarizes I cant seem to get a working curve to fill in the gaps on the top and bottom.

I’ve tried a bunch of things

• creating an arc and using follow me, but it won’t allow me to move it because of the size decrease.
  • creating a square and trying to cut around the fit i want.
  • created a cylinder scaled the ends and then the length i wanted, but couldn’t accurate shape it and the middle curve was far too extreme.

I’m somewhat new to sketchup and maybe perhaps am overlooking something.

1 Like

It’s creating these corner holes and clippings that I can’t seem to fix (second picture)

also when I try to erase the lines on the “X” lines, its creating gaps (first picture)

Scale the model up by a factor of 100 or 1000 before running Follow Me.

Hello @swanmojo03 ,

I think you’re looking for this plugin called “Curviloft”: SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation (Check ‘more info’ there to see plugin in action)

Here is an example i made for this case:

1 Like

That is indeed one way of doing it. But in cross section is straight from the top to the edge. TIG’s solution (applied to a scaled up copy) produces a rounded profile, which looks and would feel better.

I wonder what the outcome would be if curviloft was ran on Tigs first “blue” example?

Soap Skin & Bubble?

Scaling it up removed the corner gaps, however there is still gaping when I try to erase any of the “X” lines and those lines are still creating a slight bump (as you can see in picture). The corners also aren’t “smoothly” transitioning as well as I’m hoping for.

Curviloft seems pretty close to what I’m looking for, however it seems like I need to sign up and pay $15 a month to a website to get it unfortunately. (I may if no other option)

I downloaded soap and bubble and am trying that now. There seems to be a little bit of a learning curve and can’t see some stuff in the .gif. from Aaron. It looks like you click skin twice, but when I try to do that I get an error saying i need to select 3 or more edges after the first click and it won’t let me bubble up until i create a group with skin soap. I’m gonna do a little more research on it.

I’m also hoping to 3D print this once I get it figured out.

You CAN register free on Sketchucation: look carefully for the free option on the signup page

One of the best things about SketchUp is the variety of solutions to any given problem. Here’s one using the Spirix plugin:

1 Like

So i got it working up until its supposed to inflate, however after I click “bubble”, type in pressure and hit enter, nothing happens?

Does this ever happen to you? Any suggestions?

It looks like you save or something before, but I cant see what it is on the .gif

Edit: Got it to work! I was only doing 50 pressure (the amount they do in video) and wasn’t seeing anything. I went up to 1000 and started to see real inflation!

lad to hear! Depending on the size, you may need a pretty big pressure to “blow it up!”