Ghosted lines

I scale up, and problem solve… Thank you guys!

Here is an example where working in meters helped. This is the base of a machinist’s screw jack. It’s supposed to be 56mm tall. The short edge segments at the top of the upper knurled section about about 0.2mm long. Notice it is a solid. This was easy to achieve because I modeled with units set to meters. In fact, the model is still 56 meters tall.

I exported the .stl and set import units in the slicer for millimeters.

Seems like it was pretty hard work to convince you. Glad it finally worked, though.

1 Like

Thanks Dave,… :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
Have a same issue; ghost lines and surfaces popping out by themselves. Working in meter-scale.
Same thing happens whether I work with 3D model of the house or just 2D for facade views.

Even I delete those they always pop up again, destroying my drawing. I am testing Free version, planned to buy Pro, but looks there are same issues in Pro as well, so…

I have used more time to fight with these f…ng ghosts than drawing itself.

Is there a root cause for this - and a cure? Please help, I’m starting to get desperate with deadline approaching for my building permit documentation.

I liked this software, until these issues started.

It would help us help you if the attach your model.

Sorry, cannot neither download the file to my computer nor export stl-file. Getting just error messages.
Will try again after re-start the computer.
I also get pretty often error message failed to save.

There is something totally wrong. This file is just some lines in 2D, and the size of the file is over 30M, so cannot attach. The file looks to be corrupted somehow with those ghost lines and surfaces.
Need probably to delete and start all over again.

You can see the problem area; it is a window section, which creates surfaces again and again. It has reduced a bit, since I have double clicked the area to get those visible, and deleting. Literally hundreds of times now. Problem is it always take drawn lines with it, destroying my work done.

Until we see the model we cannot be sure, but here the dilemma might be due to excessive size. If you model a house and substitute meters for millimeters, your model size goes to several kilometers, and the upper limits of OpenGL might start to kick in, with first clipping and then severe display distortion. It becomes worse if your model is situated far from the SketchUp model origin.

Purge it. It has probably unused components, materials and tags.

I suspect a major part of your issue is you are thinking in 2d but working in a 3d environment. At a guess I’d say your model isn’t flat.

You can always use dropbox, onedrive etc even the 3d warehouse to attach your model.

I hope those lines are cler visible in attached picture. i cannot save to external discs, as I use Free version. or can someone help me how to do that?

I have difficult to understand it would be 3D lines only. Why would those continue popping up even I delete those tens of times in that case?

This is very irritating I am not being able to solve this.

I am thankful if somehave a cure for this!

It absolutely may be so I am doing somthing wrong. I have no probblem to admit I am pretty new with this product. As said, I am testing, planner du subscribe Pro.version, but if it has these same issues, then I won’t want to waste time fighting with issues more time than drawing.

BR.SamB

The top left icon has an option, Download, use this to download a copy of your file to your computer then attach it here.

https://www.transfernow.net/MZRcHW012021

Hope this works.

There was a real mess of hidden lines and double edges in your model and it wasn’t flat. Did you start with an imported dwg or some other file?
I have purge all the ‘stuff’ from your model so it is now quite small. You can add it back into your original or use it as a base to start from.
I removed the dimensions so I could see what was going on and I turned off Length Snapping in Units and I changed the display precision to 3 decimal places so you don’t get tildes everywhere.
I may have deleted some bits, but basically you have a clean flat set of edges and faces.
This took far longer to fix than it would have taken to draw correctly from scratch,

Ghost lines Box.skp (101.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you so much!
Could you determine the root case for this, and why those were popping up even I deleted and deleted, tens of times? Those lines popped up over and over again.
Or is it just purging of unused components which is needed, and then it goes away?

Just trying to understand what went wrong/what I did wrong, to avoid this happening again.
Most often this kind of issues are sbk-problems, and as a new user, I have no problem to admit that may be the case.

I had begun this from 3D-model, to keep the same floor plan, so that may be the problem. And I did not purge it (did not know there was need for it).

I have also used much more time to fighting these issues than drawing itself. Problem is I have number of drawings, almost all having similar problems (floor plan, facades from 4 sides, 3D model), and these for several buildings, so starting all over again has not felt so good. But looking back now, that would be much faster.

Thank you once again!
SamB

Most likely this

Without seeing what you started with and how you worked with it it is impossible to be specific.
But as I said, the geometry wasn’t flat and there were multiple edges piled up on top of each other, like you had tried to scale it flat. Plus the loose hidden edges that were intersecting with the main area of issues suggests that you tried to flatten something and delete parts of it… but as I say it’s only a guess.

I hope sbk doesn’t mean what I think it does!

“What you are seeing is an OpenGL limitation As the distance between edges relative to the distance to the camera becomes closer, the graphics card starts to display those edges behind the surface. The studs behind the sheetrock in your example. The solution is to use tags to control the visibility of objects. Turn off the visibility of the tag for the studs when you only want to see the sheetrock. Or turn off the trusses when you only want to see the sheathing or the shingles.”

Hmm - Is there still no other way around this? Your solution is OK for studding inside a wall but for partially covered frameworks it doesnt work. The uncovered parts that need to be visible would dissapear. Would be an awful kludge to go in and make it work right on complex models.

Apols for reopening an old thread - but have googled myself to death trying to find a solutuin to this.

Thanks,
Roy

This is a limitation of OpenGL. OpenGL hasn’t changed so at this point, no. There’s no other way around it other than to hide the edges you don’t want to see or hide the objects that are behind. Or keep the camera close enough that the limitation doesn’t come into play.

Google OpenGL and Z-fighting.

It’s more than OpenGL. This is a consequence of how almost all computer graphics manage distance from the camera while deciding what is in front: they divide space into “range bins” rather than continuous. Handling continuous would greatly slow down rendering.

Blender doesn’t use OpenGL and it has the same issue.