After much frustration and things going wrong I finally made a set of shelves, I believe that these are not perfect and would have many faults, but learning by your mistakes is how it is.
I realised during the course of making these that I didn’t even know that the cursor position on the screen determined how the model reacted
Would anyone mind taking a look and advising
You’re still missing the point of components.
You need to make one shelf component and then copy the whole component not the geometry within the component.
Watch here how when I array some closed components they will edit all together, but if I array the internal geometry of the component it just makes one large component with loose geometry in it.
Nice job! A few things I noticed off the bat that might help:
Your shelves are 1209 mm wide, with shelf widths of 1191 mm and thickness of 19mm. Are these dimension intentional? If not then perhaps some work on entering values by typing dimensions in during the creation process could help, as well as understanding how to use the scale tool to resize components and groups to exact dimensions after they are created.
A good place to start playing with this idea might be the top shelf which is too long by 9 mm and is overlapping the geometry of the vertical board on the left side. You could select it and use the scale tool to scale the shelf in that direction only by grabbing the center handle on the side you want to move and dragging to the infrence point of the inside wall of the rabbet. Or, you could double click your top shelf to open it and use push/pull to move the end over the same way, experiment with View>Component Edit>Hide Rest of Model to help. Same Cat, different skinning.
I see you are using components, that’s good but you’re not making correct use of them and therefore not getting the real benefit. Your top shelf could be one component, and the rest all instances of the same component. Then editing one would automatically edit the rest. Same for your sides, make one side a component then drag a copy (option/move) over to the other side and flip it (right click, flip along…) then your two sides will face each other and fit correctly but still be editable as a single component.
Here is a version that has been rebuilt quickly with the suggestions I have made, play with it a bit to discover the power of components.
I totally forgot about using components when i did the shelves, I did use components for the top, bottom and sides copying and flipping parts as needed.
I have been watching a video DaveR has linked to me many many times but I seem to be ‘not getting’ the idea.
I understand what you are showing in your example, what I don’t understand is the different operations that you make to get the different results. ie : in your first example you make a shelf, move/copy it and multiply by 5, in the 2nd example I can’t see what the difference is except a bounding box around the shelf
There can be a steep curve to sketchup in the beginning as it’s a new way of thinking about modeling, I was certainly frustrated many times as I was learning. But it’s a very rewarding process if you stick to it.
This versions looks good. You are using components correctly here, basically there are only two components to the entire model, a side and a shelf. Is that part clear to you now?
Next we can tackle getting things sized correctly.
Yes, I understand components, what i didn’t realise was what I was doing wrong. I have been playing around this morning making components and trying to figure out what i do wrong. It appears i make the component and then instead of copying straight away I de-select then re-select the component which opens it for editing and then I am copying the loose geometry ( I THINK this is what I am doing incorrectly).
Hopefully I have this sorted and can start getting things sized correctly ( which I believed I had done so until I checked with the tape measure tool )
Sounds Correct, the erroneous order of operations you described is consistent with the mistaken groupings I saw in the first version: loose geometry copied from within an open-for-editing component. The new way you have discovered is correct.
next step dimensions. the easiest way of getting correct dimms is to type them in as you first build. Just start a rectangle then let go of the mouse and type in the dimensions you want, presto. In the video I clicked to complete a random rectangle so that I could get the curser free to show you where the numbers appear, but in operation this is not necessary. same with push pull, just start moving then let go of the mouse and type a number.
Well, it sounds like you’ve figured out the wrong steps. Fixing that work flow problem will go a long way to making it easier to construct your models. And by using only components (even when there’s only one in the model) I think you’ll see that modeling is easier and more efficient.
Another thing to consider is utilizing components that might start out the same and get modified later. The center divider in the cabinet I drew in the video is a good example of that. It starts out as a copy of the side component but gets modified differently later. So when it’s time, it was made unique. I find working that way helps me think through the steps I’d use in the shop. It helps me reduce the number of machine setups because I can easily see which parts can be cut at the same time. More efficient work in SketchUp and the shop. Fewer errors too.
If you pay attention in the video, you’ll see how I drew everything to the correct dimensions by entering them where I needed to and by using components that were already in place as references so that I didn’t need to enter all of the dimensions.