Generate report by layer. Question

I am trying to generate a table with the quantitative of electrical components to be purchased for later installation.

The problem is that I can not find a way to eliminate all the layers that I do not want to appear in the table.

In the example below, I want to show only the electrical components of the “3D electric” layer (layer that is highlighted).

Any tips? Thank you! :slight_smile:

You could get only the electrical components to show in the report if you select only them and tick the Selection box in the upper left corner of the Template Manager.

I just did that with a project I’m working on. I selected only the Shelf pins in the model so they are the only thing that shows up in the report.

Did not work for me… :disappointed_relieved:

Put Entity Name in the Report Attributes section, not in the Group By section.

It did not work for me again. :sob:

I don’t know what to tell you. Could you send me your SKP file so I can have a look? There’s surely something we’re missing.

The problem was here:

Thank you!

Ah ha! I didn’t even look at that tick box. Glad you figured it out.

1 Like

One more question:

How do you extract quantitative from a model that is heavily loaded with a ton of components (with masonry, window, door, electrical components, hydraulic components, furniture, materials, decoration …)?

Any time you want to generate a report do you have to deactivate all the layers and select only what you want to generate the report?

Is it not possible to save a tab like “Electrical components for purchase” already configured to always show only the components of the “electric” layer? My intention is to generate quantitative reports as the model develops, and even create a template with these report-generating questions already saved …

In the end, my intention is just to use SketchUp as BIM and automate everything as much as possible! :beers:

I rarely use the report generator and instead use something else for the kind of reports I need so I’m not an expert with it. You should be able to create and save a report template that you can use repeatedly.

As for creating individual reports for electrical components and other components such as plumbing, HVAC, and so on, at this stage it looks like you’d need to handle that in the model. You could create a scene called “Electrical Components” that has all layers except the Electrical Components turned off. This would make it simple enough to select only those components before running the report.

I think I’d be more inclined to generate an all-inclusive report and then insert the CSV file into a spreadsheet that is already formatted with sheets for the various types of components based on the layer names. With a standardized report format, you could setup Excel so that the second sheet in the workbook only looks for electrical components and the third sheet only lists plumbing. Don’t ask me for the steps to do that, though. It’s been a hundred years or more since I did any heavy duty formatting in Excel so I’m very rusty. :wink:

Would that work for you?

1 Like

I do not know … maybe yes, maybe not …

If I were able to set up a Generate Report tab and automatically Excel already split into the right tabs so that the table was imported into LayOut and the program intended that the table should be divided into different parts (eg electrical, plumbing, HVAC, furniture) which in turn the tables will be scattered on the sheets throughout the entire document, so the way you propose would work …

I still think the best would be an update in the Generate Report tool to add a field (like “Current Layer”) to tick in addition to the existing “Current selection”. By clicking “Save Changes”, such settings would be stored. Thus, even after the user has developed the model far beyond the beginning, clicking “Run” will understand that it is only the previously saved Layer and will only list the components within it with their respective quantities.

But thank you anyway! :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.