Framing Walls for Tiny Homes

My next question is – 8’ stud walls for tiny homes – are the walls 8’ tall with the bottom plate and 2 top plates included in measurement which will make all the 2"x4" studs actually = 7’ 7 1/2" long – or are the 2"x4" studs actually 8’ long and thus making the wall actually taller than 8’ when attaching the bottom plate and the 2 top plates = 8’ 4 1/2" total wall height.
Just FYI: I couldn’t ever get the Housebuilder app to load, so I added 1001 Bit Tools Extension instead and it seams (so far) to be a good extension.
Guy

Ultimately this seems like a design question: how high do you want them? However, in my area most rough carpenters don’t trim the 96" studs (wastes time and material), so the plates add to the height.

Just FYI: There isn’t any reason why you shouldn’t be able to get Housebuilder to load if you install the correct version in the first place. There have been several threads in the last week or so that have gone into this extensively with links to the correct, updated versions.

As for the height of the walls, it depends on how high you want the ceiling. For 8’ walls around here, they sell studs already cut to allow for the top and bottom plates.

In my part of the world I’d use pre-cut studs. They are usually 92 5/8" or 93". This is important when considering sheathing, drywall and other materials.

Shep

The videos I have watched say that walls are usually 8" tall - well with the bottom plate and 2 top plates added to 8’ long 2"x4" studs makes the wall taller than 8’ and having never built a wall - just wanted to clear up confusion before I started my design, Thanx, Guy

as far as Housebuilder App/Extension - why isn’t it in the SketchUp Extension link - so it can be downloaded easily.

As @Shep noted, it is possible to buy pre-cut studs at shorter lengths, so it becomes an important part of your design specs which length you require. Good luck!

1 Like

what I was thinking if the stud walls are actually 8’ 4 1/2" high wouldn’t it cause the 4’x8’ pieces of sheetrock to be to short.

Because Trimble doesn’t force authors to distribute their extensions via the SketchUp Extension Warehouse. The authors of this app chose to go another route, which is OK and not unusual.

2 Likes

It’s easily downloadable from Sketchucation.

1 Like

It would. Hence the use of pre-cuts.

Shep

1 Like

Thanx for the info much appreciated

Thanx everyone for your patience with my question - but ya’ see I have OCD, ADHD, ACDC or whatever it is called and my design needs to be correct as in a real world situation. Guy

Then you might be better off without housebuilder.
From the examples I’ve seen, it doesn’t place studs correctly.

Shep

1 Like

ADHTAS: “attention defi…hey, there’s a squirrel!”

1 Like

the 1001 bit tools extension did space the studs at 16" center - when asked to do so.

House Builder works fine for creating framed walls with window framing and headers. The only defect is that HB does not automatically frame the corners correctly. You have to go in and create the corners depending on what type of framing you want to use on the corners. It just means moving a few studs around and adding others, but it is only a small inconvenience.

Perhaps a bit more study is in order before you begin.

The American Wood Council’s 2015 “Wood-Frame Construction Manual for One- and Two-Family Dwellings” (WFCM ) has been approved as an American National Standard by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

WFCM is referenced in the International Code Council’s 2015 “International Building Code” and 2015 “International Residential Code” (IRC)

Link…
Wood Frame Construction Manual - 2015

1 Like

From a pragmatic point of view, at 5’ 6" tall I feel my 8’ ceilings are unnecessarily high. It’s just space I can’t use but still need to heat and cool.However a lower ceiling might feel cramped and cave-like, although I think I could get used to it (ceiling fans aside.)

Thanx, for this link