Follow Me Tool on Component

I draw a rectangle and push/pull it to say 1/2". Next I insert the profile component and align it with the top surface of the rectangle on the edge.

From there I can A) edit component > draw path > follow me tool or B) explode it and follow me as normal.

If I try option C) Select Edge > follow me > RIGHT CLICK component & Select Edit > Click profiles face, the edge is deselected when I select the follow me tool. You can view it in the imgur link. It is a loose geometry and not group with my component.

This is normal. The path will appear to be deselected but it won’t prevent the Follow Me tool for functioning. The same thing will happen if you preselect the path while it is inside the profile component or if you do so with no groups or components.

And with the profile a component and the loose geometry rectangle.

And with the rectangle the top of a 3D shape.

1 Like

If that was the issue, I would expect it to work when following through. Are you starting a new drawing and inserting my profile? How do I post a gif in my post like you?

Use the Upload button, 7th from the left in the row above the message window.

This is how it goes when I attempt the same thing. Just to be clear, you are adding the component to a to a new sketch correct?

WTH

Try zooming in before getting the Follow Me tool so you don’t inadvertently select the rectangular face after getting the Follow Me tool.

Didn’t work either, pretty strange. Looks like when I right click to edit component, the face or edge is deselected.

com-video-to-gif%20(1)

One more time. Change the view so you aren’t highlighting the rectangular face on your way to the profile.

Pay attention to the difference between what McGordon and I show and what you show. We aren’t just pulling this stuff out of the air. You need to do it correctly for it to work.

I believe you, but it is not working. Here is anther attempt with a different view angle so there is no chance of highlighting the wrong face.

com-video-to-gif%20(1)

Upload that SKP file that doesn’t work for you including the rectangle.

Here you gohelpme.skp (325 KB)

Erase the center of the rectangle, the four lines that are left is the path. Select one of them, then try the tool

You were already told about this but you have the profile nested.

Explode one of the components containers.

No need to erase the face of the rectangle. That won’t help.

Hmmm, I’m still learning. What exactly is does nested mean?

You’ve got one component inside another one. It’s like the geometry is double wrapped which is pointless.

Ahh, I understand. Why were you all able to accomplish this without exploding it using the same component file?

The original file you uploaded doesn’t have the nested component so there was no need to explode it. My guess is you made a component of the profile and saved it. Then you imported it into a new file. When you import a SketchUp file into another SketchUp model, it comes in as a component and in this case that means the component is nested. You can see the nesting in Outliner. You also have a second copy of it in the model space.

Outliner is not available in the free version. Yes, I created the profile and made it a component and used insert to add it to a second drawing containing the rectangle effectively nesting the profile. I understand now, thank you so much for your help. I was under the impression making it a component was required to later add it to a second drawing.

Yes. I know that.

Ah, yes. My mistake @McGordon on the order.

Stupid really as I use it all the time. Probably go into Auto pilot and then when I have to actually recall and write the order, I get it wrong.

Apologies.

Mike

1 Like