Follow me tool not working with grouped objects

Hey there,

I’m new to Sketchup trying to model a sports arena and failing to use the follow-me tool to create grandstands and other seating areas.

I’ve started with a dwg and a pdf overlay, grouped, scaled and put everything in place. I’ve drawn the cutviews of all seating areas I want to model and grouped them.
I’ve selected the border of the playing field for the follow-me tool to follow (one quarter of the arena only), right-clicked/“edit group” the grouped cutview I want to use the follow-me tool on, clicking on the surface of the cutview - and nothing is happening.

I’ve used the follow me tool succesfully with non-grouped cutview before, see pic 02, but this obviously messes up my layers, as I need to keep the original top view and my drawn elements separated for later export.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve been sitting on this for two full days now and I’m running out of time, been doing so much trial-and-error-and-learning-from-it, and I just need to get this finished, as modeling this arena is the smaller part of my job, so I’d be really happy for any helpful advice!

Cheers - Chris

edit: as a new user I cannot post more than one media, sorry for that!

03 Publikumsflächen bauen.skp (4.4 MB)

Basics of SketchUp at learn.sketchup.com

2 Likes

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

Thank you so much… I must have gotten blind after spending so many hours with trial and error and learning from youtube, so I confused the order of the steps to do this one correctly.

1 Like

I always had hit or miss experiences with the follow me tool.
I’d be the 1st to say I am no Pro, but fairly proficient using SketchUp.

Have you tried Profile Maker?

That is my usual go to for stuff like that rather than risking another concussion from beating my head against the wall, lol.

Good luck.

DA

not yet, but I’ll look into it, thank you :slight_smile: