Flowify Curved Stairs Problem

When I use Flowify, the stairs come out wrong. I’ve used shape bender on stairs before and it worked fine, but that didn’t work either. Why isn’t it working?

Flowify stairs.skp (228.3 KB)

I need the stairs to follow a specific curve for my house design.

Edit: I drew them manually using the centerpoint of my house design, but I’d still like to know why Flowify wasn’t working.

The geometry over face A is mapped to the corresponding face B, so the result of the transformation is correct. To get your desired result, you must create a more adequate bended reference mesh…

1 Like

A quick example…

Flowify stairs_cotty.skp (166.2 KB)

2 Likes

And you have to pay attention to the position regarding the reference face, the result will look different…

3 Likes

Is it because Flowify distorts geometry based on the sizes of the polygons in “face B”? For example, the last quad is small & the last 3 stairs are squished. The middle quads are even & the middle stairs are evenly bent. The first quad is small and the first two stairs are squished. So I need “face B” to have evenly divided faces to create an evenly bent effect?

I have a related question. Now I’m trying to make a breeze block wall with Flowify, but Flowify is making new faces in-between the blocks. What am I doing wrong?

59%20AM

I tried the Dave Method (1000x), but that didn’t work either.
Breeze Block Wall.skp (431.4 KB)

Now I’m trying to make a breeze block wall with Flowify, but Flowify is making new faces in-between the blocks. What am I doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong, that is a bug in Flowify.

The problem is that Flowify builds up the target geometry with a PolygonMesh (a very fast internal data structure in the API). Polygon meshes do not allow inner face loops so Flowify tries to create these inner loops in a second pass but often fails.

So, in order to avoid this problem you can remove the inner face loops on the projection side. See example below. The left geometry has an inner face loop, while the geometry to the right does not. The face is split into four faces which removes the loop.

2 Likes

Thank you so much everyone for helping me solve my problems.
I made the wall out of quads, then it worked! Hurray!

1 Like