Find entities with a certain material

I have a large model composed of lots of imported components. I am wondering if anyone knows a way to find all entities with a certain material.

Basically, my model has about 10 different shades of grey and I would like to organize the model a little bit. I know that you can delete a material but I am wanting to know what entities it would affect first.

The “purge unused” feature only purges unused materials. It is in the utility menu from the button just below the eyedropper button.

Dan,

I am trying to find which entities use a specific material. [quote=“DanRathbun, post:2, topic:21102”]
The “purge unused” feature only purges unused materials. It is in the utility menu from the button just below the eyedropper button.
[/quote]
Other than a purge, I was referring to a right click, where you can choose to delete a used material and revert entities using it to the default material.

you could…

use the eyedropper to select a shade of grey…

open it for editing in the material browser…

change it to a vivid color…

check in the model which faces have changed… [x-ray mode may help]

purge it your happy or ‘undo’ the color change if not…

john

1 Like

Context click on a use materials. Then pick select. In the model each faces with this material will be selected.

2 Likes

Mac users, here’s another example of something we can’t do with the brain-dead materials window on Mac!

1 Like

I know I’m saying, you can purge unused materials without worry, from the UI.

I could write a script that will identify them, but then what ?
You said “wanting to know”…

As Jefke showed you can right-click and choose “Select”. (But that may only select in the current editing context.)

Would you want “Current Material Usage” information instead in a popup messagebox ?
If so, what kind of details ?