Files opens as Untitled

Hi all,

Last weekend I decided to install the new Sketchup 2021 pro to check it out. After installation, don’t know if this is relevant or not but I selected under the windows control to open SKP file with 2020!
I just wanted to test the new version before messing of my files around with different versions,

Anyway, now every time I open a file directly from windows comes as an empty file, named “Untitled” instead of the file I’m selecting. I have tried with 2021 with the same result. So I have decided to uninstall 2021 but the problem persists. I have also uninstalled 2020, restart the computer and reinstall Sketchup but the problem persists. So, at this point, I’m a bit lost.

If I open the file from inside Sketchup works fine,

I will be so grateful if anyone could help. I have the feeling it could be something related to the registry, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks in advance

hello,
Sketchup will open untitled files if you worked on a model without saving. It will autosave it in “my documents”.

Can you check if you have any file named untitled in your documents ? paste this in explorer : %userprofile%\documents
If you do, first check if among them none is important (as you may have untitled_5 untitled_6 and so on…) delete them and see if problem persist.
Edit : path has changed for a couple of version, you might want to check there :
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

replace 2021 by other versions if needed

As well as Paul’s suggestions, two ideas from me
try opening a file with shift held down. This will skip any auto loads and start a fresh version, incase something is stuck.

And run the installer as admin, meaning find the original downloaded installation .exe , right click on it and choose Run as Admin, then select Repair when given the option.

Hi Paul,

I did the search and I found an untitled.skp and deleted it, no changes thought.
Then I went to C:\Users%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles where I found folders for 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. I delete all except 2020.
Now, I can open files from the drop-down menu on the autohide toolbars (video attached) But still can’t open the file directly with a double click!

Hi Box,

I did what you suggested with shift but nothing happen, didn’t even open the file! and also di the repair as admin and nothing happens either! :frowning_face:

hello, have you tried relinking the default app to open with ?

right click on your file > properties

in the line open with, click on modify and go get the sketchup.exe which is in programs/sketchup/sketchup 2020

In order to understand if sketchup is just opening a blank new file (so fails to get the file you’re trying to open) or opens a file named untitled.skp that is stored somewhere on your computer, can you activate the welcome screen ? (window > preferences > general > show welcome window).

Then try opening your gatling.skp and see if you get a welcome screen or not

You are a top man!

As I said when I installed 2021, I selected to open with 2020 always but somehow It did affect. I went into default programs option and re-select SketchUp.
All good now.

Thanks

1 Like

i’m glad I could help !