Files opens as Untitled

Hi all,

Last weekend I decided to install the new Sketchup 2021 pro to check it out. After installation, don’t know if this is relevant or not but I selected under the windows control to open SKP file with 2020!
I just wanted to test the new version before messing of my files around with different versions,

Anyway, now every time I open a file directly from windows comes as an empty file, named “Untitled” instead of the file I’m selecting. I have tried with 2021 with the same result. So I have decided to uninstall 2021 but the problem persists. I have also uninstalled 2020, restart the computer and reinstall Sketchup but the problem persists. So, at this point, I’m a bit lost.

If I open the file from inside Sketchup works fine,

I will be so grateful if anyone could help. I have the feeling it could be something related to the registry, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks in advance

hello,
Sketchup will open untitled files if you worked on a model without saving. It will autosave it in “my documents”.

Can you check if you have any file named untitled in your documents ? paste this in explorer : %userprofile%\documents
If you do, first check if among them none is important (as you may have untitled_5 untitled_6 and so on…) delete them and see if problem persist.
Edit : path has changed for a couple of version, you might want to check there :
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

replace 2021 by other versions if needed

As well as Paul’s suggestions, two ideas from me
try opening a file with shift held down. This will skip any auto loads and start a fresh version, incase something is stuck.

And run the installer as admin, meaning find the original downloaded installation .exe , right click on it and choose Run as Admin, then select Repair when given the option.

Hi Paul,

I did the search and I found an untitled.skp and deleted it, no changes thought.
Then I went to C:\Users%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles where I found folders for 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. I delete all except 2020.
Now, I can open files from the drop-down menu on the autohide toolbars (video attached) But still can’t open the file directly with a double click!

Hi Box,

I did what you suggested with shift but nothing happen, didn’t even open the file! and also di the repair as admin and nothing happens either! :frowning_face:

hello, have you tried relinking the default app to open with ?

right click on your file > properties

in the line open with, click on modify and go get the sketchup.exe which is in programs/sketchup/sketchup 2020

1 Like

In order to understand if sketchup is just opening a blank new file (so fails to get the file you’re trying to open) or opens a file named untitled.skp that is stored somewhere on your computer, can you activate the welcome screen ? (window > preferences > general > show welcome window).

Then try opening your gatling.skp and see if you get a welcome screen or not

1 Like

You are a top man!

As I said when I installed 2021, I selected to open with 2020 always but somehow It did affect. I went into default programs option and re-select SketchUp.
All good now.

Thanks

1 Like

i’m glad I could help !

Hi, I´ve just met the same error with Sketchup when I´m trying to open one of my saved files, the Sketchup oens only untitled project. I´ve done everything mentioned above, but nothing helps. I´ve even renistalled Sketchup and the also OS, but that didn´t hel either.

Are there any other options how to solve this problem?

hello adam,
follow these instructions :

your problem is the same than unappearing thumbnails.
for some reason, even if sketchup is selected as default program to open with, you have to break the link and relink

I´ve changed it back-and-forth with restarts after each change and sadly it didn´t solve the problem. But I´ve found out, that I can open the fila via context menu after right click where is “Open with Sketchup 2022”. But if I choose in this context menu “open with another application” then it offers only "Sketchup application, not “Sketchup 2022” and after choosing the sketchup application, it opens only the untitled file.

have you changed to another program, such as notepad, first ? also try to reach sketchup 2022 .exe file manually. Once in a .skp file properties, modify the open with and go at the very bottom, you’ll have the option to pick a program on your PC. reach for programs > sketchup > sketchup 2022 > sketchup.exe

Yeah I´ve changed that and it didn´t helped. Luckily I´ve solved it so below is my solution how to make it work.

1. uninstall sketchup
  2. try run *.skp file, windows show message, you don´t have any program to open it
  3. restart PC
  4. install sketchup
  5. restart PC
  6. run *.skp file, now it should open regularly

Thank you Paul for your time and your hint, that I need to “disconnect” the software and file extension.

1 Like

I am hopping on the same issue train. I installed 2023. The company wants to stick with 2022 for a little while longer so uninstalled 2023. Now when opening files with a double click an Untitled opens. I have followed all steps up to this point in the post. Any help would be appreciated.

Same issue, same situation here.
Installed 2023 and still working with 2022 and this issue happened.
Like you, none of the tips above worked yet.

Try this:
Make sure no SketchUp is running. (Perhaps restart your computer and do not start SketchUp.)

Locate the downloaded installer file of SketchUp 2022, or download a fresh copy of it from here: (https://www.sketchup.com/download/all).

Right click on the installer file (SketchUpPro-2022-0-354-126.exe) and chose Run as administrator, allow UAC to execute then chose Repair when prompted. Wait for the installer to finish.
Perhaps restart your computer.
This should allow to associate .skp files to SU2022.