Field of view problem?

I tend to do almost all of my modelling in 3d views with perspective turned on, (as I’m sure most people do), but I’m having a problem where zooming in cuts part of my model off, as if it is too close to me so it cuts into a section plane. Is there a way of fixing this as it sometimes stops me from zooming in close enough to edit my model?
thanks
Paul

It’s called Clipping. While it’s more common to see it in Parallel Projection, it can happen in perspective mode, too. Commonly it happens when the model is at a long distance (relatively speaking) from the origin or even part of the model is at a great distance. After checking to make sure the model is close to the origin and moving it if needed, check for any stray geometry that is located far away. Zoom Extents can help you determine if there is any stray geometry. If you still need to be able to zoom in tight on a part of the model, use layers to control the visibility of groups and components. Turn layers off for groups and components you don’t need to see.

Ok thanks! It hadn’t occurred to me that the distance from the origin might matter. That must be my problem as I often GeoLocate a model, and then when I start a new project I copy it to save all the levels. So the new model might be a long way from the origin.
I can move my model, but that will mess up all my saved views, which link to Layout. Is there another fix or will I just have to reset my views?

I assume that means scenes in your SketchUp file. Unfortunately after you move the model, you’ll have to update the camera positions for each scene that is affected. Chalk it up to a learning experience?

Hopefully you didn’t create “modified” scenes in the LayOut file or you’ll have additional problems.

Yes, Scenes in SketchUp, that reference into Layout drawings.
The Learning Curve is levelling out slowly… and no, I haven’t used modified scenes (because I don’t know what they are for!)

Thanks very much for the help!

1 Like

You can modify a scene in SketchUp by double clicking on the viewport either intentionally or inadvertently. Some users will do that and move the SketchUp camera to zoom, orbit, or pan the view a bit. Other ways to create modified scenes would include selecting a standard view for the viewport in LayOut instead of setting it for the scene in SketchUp or changing the style or turning on shadows. Best practice is to avoid modifying the scene in LO because it damages the link from the SketchUp file meaning that scene specific changes you make in SketchUp won’t carry over to the viewport. You should also not use Last saved SketchUp view for the viewport’s scene.

You can tell if the scene has been modified in LO by selecting the viewport and looking at the SketchUp Model inspector panel.

I intentionally modified a viewport to show what it looks like in the SketchUp Model panel.
Screenshot%20-%205_13_2019%20%2C%2010_15_25%20AM

Cool. Thanks for the info.
My projects are different every time, so I’ve never bothered with standard views - I can see the value, but giving the amount of time it would save me, I’ve never got round to it.

If you are using standard views, set them in SketchUp for the scenes you create. Then only select the appropriate scene in the Scenes drop down in the SketchUp Model panel but do not select the standard view. There’s no need for it if the scene is already set to it anyway.

Modified scenes, like drawing on the wrong layer. Little pitfalls built-into the software.