Extension find the soft/smooth edge between two materials

To send it privately would it not be uploaded to sketchups cloud?

Also I don’t know how…

Only you and I would have access to it. It wouldn’t be public. Upload the file to the PM as you added the images in this thread.

It would appear you never turned on Hidden Geometry as I suggested in my initial post to you. With Hidden Geometry turned on and the face style set to Monochrome, you can see all sorts of softened and hidden edges.

If you set the face style to Shaded you can more easily see where the different materials are applied.

There are a few coplanar edges that don’t seem to be needed. You could clean up the model with ThomThom’s CleanUp3.
Screenshot%20-%2012_13_2018%20%2C%203_49_17%20PM

I have done that. Click on the grass between the default and the grey. It comes up as one face.

I do not want to individually color all the little green triangles. (and this is an issue I have run into over and over so I want to have a better way of finding the ones that are not allowing the division.)

It isn’t showing as one face. It’s showing as a surface. It’s made of lots of faces.

Who said anything about color individual faces? You asked about how to find the soft/smooth edges between materials.

I am trying to separate the two surfaces so that I can change the material that is on the grass side. I am trying to find the offending soft/smooth line that is causing the spillover into the concrete surface.

I have yet to find the line that is causing them to select as one surface. (sorry I have been using the wrong word previously.)

There are numerous edges along the border of the sidewalk that are softened. Unsoften all of them and you’ll wind up with the separation you’re after. You’ll need to have Hidden Geometry turned on to be able to select them for unsoftening. You can see a couple of those gaps below.

After unsoftening all of them:

just change it in the model materials browser…

john

I finally found it but there has to be a better way… There was a ~0 place with two points that should have been one point but even when I highlighted the area it still did not say it was soft/smooth only bringing the points together finally closed the surface.

This is how small the edge was.

I don’t know why I did not show up when I would select the edges around it. With 61’ of edges to check how are you suppose to easily find something like this?

I found it by working my way around “hardening”(?) the lines that cut across the surface I wanted. If they became independent then the problem was not there and worked my way around the area. It is really slow. Is there not a better way?

I don’t want to change all the grass just in that area it is being turned into a planting bed.

Is there a way to turn off Sketchup automatically softening/smoothing the lines when you move things in topography?

This is what I was trying to do. All I wanted was to put a different material on this area.

You can set softening to 0. After fixing those edges, it would be possible to add a different material.

What does that do? Also where?

Select the edges in the model and adjust the Soften Slider. in the Soften Edges panel in the Default Tray.

But you would still need to find the edge that is the problem right?

Oh you mean as a solution to having sketchup do it in the first place?

How did you find the edge that was the problem?

I found the edges by looking for the gaps as I showed before. Unfortunately this is the sort of thing that takes human intelligence to sort out because there’s no way for an extension to make a decision as to which edges need to be unsoftened and which don’t. You’ll probably need to go back and forth between hidden geometry off so you can see the gaps and hidden geometry on so you can select the edges that need to be unsoftened. A keyboard shortcut makes that easier.

I would think with the different materials that something could do it? The problem is that this took me 3h and 45m to track down. I can not bill the client for that. I have a hot key for turning off and on hidden. It is very useful I hide many things.