Exporting high quality JPEG's not possible?

We started working with Sketchup recently for smaller projects; it’s fast and easy.
Unfortunately it seems it’s not possible to export HQ JPEG’s (since all texture dissapear when I export a PDF of my drawing.) for presentations for customers. We have a high standard for our presentations.

To my idea I’ve tried everything but any other solutions anybody?

I’ve tried to scale the pixels up to 6000+, working with thinner lines, of course setting everything to the highest quality possible, anti alias is on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards!

PDF is a ‘vector’ export, images are ‘raster’ and export as 'average color in ‘vector’ exports…

you cannot export them together…

JPEG is ‘lossy’ and designed for ‘photographs’, PNG or Tiff is better for SU exports…

the common approach is to export both ‘types’ and com posit them externally…

john

Thanks John.
I do believe it’s a real flaw of Sketchup that you cannot supply any HQ jpegs of PDF’s easily,

you can use ‘Print’ >> ‘Save as PDF’ [turn off vector]…

john

I export high res JPGs all the time. The compression isn’t too high and if it is you can use PNG which preserves transparency. The ability to set any pixel dimensions (resolution) makes getting the desired size simple.

Can you post examples of the low quality images you’re convinced sketchup is limited to? Maybe your process too? It might help a lot in helping.

I use Scene Exporter Pro (from Smustard) and generally export to double the res I intend to use in the end, images are nice an crisp then.

Many thanks for your response! I must be doing something wrong.
Attached a picture of a sketchup model exported to PNG with a lot of pixels…

This is a A4 papersize. don’t if it’s good to see but it doesn’t look good if you look closely.

Thanks Julian, I will look in to that.

It looks great actually. Not sure what the issue is.

If you want smoother anti aliasing, try scaling the JPEG in photoshop. For example, export at 6000 pixels but then scale in photoshop to say, 5400. It works wonders.

Note about resolution: for printing colour images on paper, anything with more than 300 DPI is overkill and only bloats file sizes. A rough rule is that you get the needed resolution by dividing the quoted resolution of your printing device by 4. I once tested by printing the same image at different resolutions to a colour laser with a quoted resolution of 600 DPI and looking at the result with a powerful magnifying glass. 300 and 150 DPI images were absolutely identical and the quality of a 96 DPI version was only very slightly worse. A 300 DPI image is 4 times the file size of a 150 DPI one.

1 Like