Export to .glb/.gltf

Are there any plans on allowing the export of a .glb file? Lots of possibilities for students to develop content for WebVR and I’ve yet to find a good work around. Crossing my fingers!

1 Like

@awhite Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately we aren’t able to support that workflow at the moment, but we appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind for future development!

Thank you, Tori!

Tori is correct that SketchUp doesn’t come with a .glb or .gltf export option, but there is this free extension that does seem to still work:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/052071e5-6c19-4f02-a7e8-fcfcc28a2fd8/gl-tf-export

It hasn’t been verified with SketchUp later than 2016, but seems to work ok in 2020. You find the export option in Extensions/Khronos glTF.

SimLab also do an exporter. The extension is free, but I believe it uses a paid for license to do the actual export:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/7c51731a-5517-40aa-bd6d-700109837837/sim-lab-gltf-exporter-for-sketch-up

3 Likes

Thank you, Colin. Do extensions work with the web version? I’m still trying to figure out how to get them configured with the web version.

Funny thing, I was lying in bed and it occurred to me that your post might have been about SketchUp for Schools. That would make Tori’s answer more correct. But don’t worry, I came back to show you another option…

While looking into what there was I found this tool. It can convert OBJ, FBX, or DAE, to GLB:

I think you can export from the Schools version of the web app to any of those three formats, so try each one to see how they come out as GLB. Collada might be the easiest one, that would then also work with models downloaded for 3D Warehouse.

For a while Facebook allowed posting of GLB models. That’s gone away now, but there are still some conversion tools, like this one.

I’ll give that a try. My main purpose for the GLB format is to be able to import models from Sketchup into hubs.mozilla.com. A perfect opportunity to showcase models in a VR environment, but accessible on any device. Ive tried converting from OBJ to GLB in Blender but the geometry didn’t transfer over, nor did the assigned materials.

Thanks for sharing the converter site. I’ll give that one a try.

I did a bunch of tests with Blender, and I had to go to a lot of trouble to get the geometry looking the same.

I use Adobe Animate, and that is able to import GLB and export HTML5, with WebGL elements in it. That’s why I’m interested in GLB as well.

Oooo we have adobe licenses so I’ll have to give that one a try.

I didn’t get far yet with making the model be interactive.

Try out Hubs if you get a chance. It’s pretty amazing.

Did you find a solution? I am trying to do the same thing…from sketchup to mozilla hubs for online learning. I am going through Spoke but no luck so far for me.

Thanks!

No easy solution or workflow I believe. Every time I exported from SU as an .obj it NEVER shows up in Blender. FBX wasn’t working. Haven’t tried STL. Honestly I’m just giving up on SU and trying to learn Blender.

Hi, I successfully used this tool
https://blackthread.io/gltf-converter/
but I’m still interested in a SketchUp for Schools workflow implementation.
SketchUp could become an easy tool for producing content to drive students in the XR world.