Export SketchUp to Unreal Engine

Omg, thank you so much. you really help me! i try to learn unreal engine for the first time. And this tool really help me a lot!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Glad you’re finding it useful

Dan, first of all I have to say thank you, because this is great.
And second, I’ve used your importer for the first time and I have something to ask. Do I need to put all the collinsions in the meshes? Because I`m floating through the walls.
Thanks.

When simulating physics, Unreal uses a special “collision” channel, which can have a simplified mesh for performance purposes. We don’t generate that mesh, since for our purposes, the performance difference is miniscule.

One way to get collisions to work right is to select Project Settings → Engine → Physics → Default Shape Complexity: Use Complex Collision As Simple. Another option is in the Blueprint Editor for your Character, on the root CapsuleComponent, select Trace Complex on Move.

1 Like

Thank you.

Hi all! Not sure if everyone heard, but the new version of Unreal Engine (4.2) includes the ability to import SketchUp files!

Actually, it includes an extension that allows SketchUp to export a Datasmith file that can be imported into Unreal Engine, but still… Pretty cool!

6 Likes

I wonder, after seeing this post, if there is an option to have the SketchUp file converted into a certain version of Unreal in your importer, as there are some (like me) using older versions of the engine…

It allows you to export your model as a DataSmith file which can be opened in Unreal Studio.

1 Like

I see. Looking forward to this!!

But what I meant to ask was if Digilabs could add a function that allows the person who is exporting a certain SketchUp model to select the version of Unreal the model would be saved in (export as 4.15, 4.16, 4.17 etc.), as it seems that it is fixed for the latest version of UE from what I see in the page…

Hi Aaron! Quick question - I’m working with the Datasmith importer right now - it seems to be importing textures from SketchUp fine, but if I try to apply any of the materials from the Unreal Engine Starter content, the texture sizing comes in far too small (see image below) -

Is this related to UV mapping in some way? It’s odd that the same material shows up fine on the Unreal Engine box geometry, but is scaled different on the static mesh actors created by Datasmith from the SketchUp file.

Hope this made sense!

No, you need to be running the latest version to take advantage of Datasmith and Unreal Studio, you will need to upgrade I believe.

1 Like

I am aware about the UE Datasmith importer being in UE 4.20 and above only. What I want to ask if the Digilabs importer can create a setting on which version of Unreal anyone who would use the Digilabs importer to be able to select which version of Unreal they would like their model imported into.

Just a quick bump to keep this thread alive.

1 Like

Another bump to keep this thread up, just in case someone has any more questions.

By the way, it does not seem to be running anymore…

So let’s go back to where this Thread started.

Workflow Update:

1. Model everything in Sketchup.
  2. Export using Datasmith.

A. Export with pre applied Textures/Materials and add properties in UE4?
B. Export without Textures and Add them later in UE4?

3.Import to UE4 via Datasmith.

Question:
1.What is your workflow if you need changes in your model after you have already set up the materials and Lighting in UE4. Say there is a change in design of your doors and windows. Any suggestions?

I’m thinking of isolating that part of the model in skp, but maintaining its skp world position, Export and import it as another datasmith file, and hopefully it follows that same position similar to paste in place. Because as far as I know, UE4 is not that good at inferences/snapping. I could just try this out but I’d like to know your thoughts and suggestions.

I think Sketchup needs to coordinate this with UE4, maybe have some streamlined connectivity/bridge in between the two.

or I just don’t know what i’m saying because I am very new to UE4.

Isn’t this workflow sorta superceded by Epic Games purchasing Twinmotion ?

I kind of more into UE4’s Animation controls. I’ve tried Twinmotion. I don’t like its lighting and material editor. It also has limited Animation controls. I’m into keyframes. But I’m also looking forward for the twins 2020 release. See if there are other improvements other than what we saw from their trailer.

Seeking guidance to use Unreal & SketchUp together.

I can’t find the SketchUp Exporter plugin for Datasmith anywhere. I just decided yesterday to check out Unreal rendering – perhaps at an awkward transition time? Is Unreal now pushing TwinMotion and removing SU / Unreal support? Nevermind, I found the plugin. I guess there was a delay between the release of UE 4.24 & a compatible exporter plugin.

I did a quick test of TwinMotion (my first time rendering) and it was indeed a very fast & easy, one-click sort of thing. But out of the box it seems as oversimplified as UE does overly complex – I guess I need to learn more about TM, its plugins, its options, and its roadmap for the future.

Ultimately I want to explore my architectural models with physics collision & game-style controls (or VR).

1 Like

Hi I have tried but the main frame on your page is always empty. I’d love to bring a SKU into UE that I am trying to learn. Thanks

You can do this now with the official Unreal datasmith bridge for SketchUp.

3 Likes