Export COLLADA "selection only" not working!

Ouch 569 files?. Do you have a working earlier version of SketchUp? This function is only broken in 2021, any previous version exports selections correctly. If you Save As your working file in 2021 you can save it as any previous version file type, then open it in that version and export .dae selections from there.

FYI, SketchUp Make 17 is still available for free download HERE and it exports collada selections just fine. If I had to export 500+ items I would be saving the main file as 17 format, opening in Make 17 and exporting selections from there. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Cant Sketchup just release a patch or something?

It is something we know needs a fix. I can’t tell you when an update will be available. When it is available you won’t be able to stop me talking about it.

Don’t expect a fix anytime soon. I firmly believe all the good developers have left Trimble and they’re dealing with interns trying to decipher things. I have two repeatable and traceable crashing issues that are a complete pain in the *ss because they cause SU2021 to shut down unexpectedly when closing a file that’s located on a network drive, and after sending probably a hundred bug splats or more, there are no fixes for those in almost five months. So issues that don’t result in crashes and that have work-arounds will not be put at the top of their to-fix list. I reported this same “export only” issue months ago, hence my jumping in and commenting here months later.

This whole subscription model thing to produce predictable income so that Trimble can develop more efficiently and quickly, seems to have been complete horsesh*t. Sorry Colin. I’ll bet anyone on your dev team that I could have traced and fixed my two crash issues by now in my spare time, so I have no sympathy for your devs. And I’d pay more for Pro if I could depend on it not crashing. It’s an amazing app. But this crashing really screws up productivity and wastes the time of people that depend on it.

Do not save directly to the “cloud”.

Local network drive. SU should have no problem with it, but SU has code in a C++ destructor from the @Last days and I’m sure it either hasn’t been maintained, someone made a mistake, or Apple made a change that is either has a bug or that hasn’t been accounted for within the old @Last code. Most likely, a change was made in SU2021 that affects the order of class destruction, and the two repeatable bugs I see are dangling pointers that aren’t being handled properly.

Hi

I’d like to add my comment to this as well.

Exactly the same as @rHiggoTHS trying to create the DAE files for Lumion and wondering why it is not working.

Got a few to work, but hit and miss. Ended up saving the Model in different ways.

Any update when this will be fixed, please.

Mike

Export Only Selection Set works in SU2021.

Selection for export

Result of importing the .dae that was exported.

Hi @DaveR

Hope you are well.

I’m using Version 21.0.391 and it seemed to be hit and miss.

It seemed to work if I drilled right down into the Component, and in some cases I had to open the Component for editing, then select all the geometry and then Export,

Does it not like Groups with different layers of components? Does it not like Groups?

Mike

Hi Michael. All is well here. Kind of crazy but good. Hope you are doing well, too.

You should update to 2021.1. :wink: I don’t know if there is a difference in this between 2021.0 and 2021.1 but it could hurt to upgrade.

I guess I haven’t seen any problems with groups but then I never use groups. The example I showed has several levels of nested components, though. No problems with that.

Excellent. Good to hear that you are well.

Plodding on here. Another year flies by, and nearly Christmas again :slight_smile:

Yes, I was going to install the new version, but I read on here the other day that there is some quirk/problem with it, which would affect my work. Can not remember exactly what it is now.

Mike

1 Like

Yes, tried various things. Well and truly broken.

Right in the middle of a project too.

Maybe the grayed out context menu items thing? Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Hmmm…

I wish I had a different fix for you.

See this:

Beautiful @DaveR

Excellent news. I’ll give that a go once I finish this project.

Mike

1 Like

Another dumb question @DaveR

Does this install a completely new version or just overwrite/update my existing 2021?

Mike

It updates your current 2021 install so not separate like a new major version. It won’t affect things like extensions you have installed or custome materials, components, styles, templates, etc.

Excellent. Thankyou.

I’ll give it a go this weekend.

Mike

1 Like

Thank you @DaveR for your help earlier.

Took the plunge and installed the latest release and it seems to have solved the problem.

I’m liking the improved copy tool as well.

Mike

1 Like

Your guess is right, the 2021.1 update did have fixes for this issue:

• Fixed an issue where validity errors could occur when exporting a model using the “Export only current selection” option.
  • Fixed an issue where you could not export just your selection to our 3D export formats when in a component edit.
  • Fixed an issue where Export Selection was not working.
1 Like