Easiest way to design in 2D

I am new to SU and looking for easiest way to draw in 2D, essentially elevations. I design and fabricate railing systems and am looking for a simple replacement to AutoCAD Lite.

I would start with the SketchUp Fundamentals to learn about using the modeling tools in SketchUp.

Keep in mind that SketchUp is really designed to be a 3D modeling application. Is there a reason you want to use SketchUp for 2D drawing?

SketchUp is not that. There are many non-Autodesk CAD applications, but I think you would have to try them before deciding. Do you need to use DWG files from others?

You should edit your post and remove your contact details, Jeff.

I tried LibreCAD a free open source program that touted it’s ease of learning and use. I found it tedious and not at all intuitive. Since it is open source it relies on users to produce tutorials and the quality and content is all over the place. I also do large scale sculpture and SketchUp with all it’s features will be great for that. I am figuring out that if I stay in a front view/elevation I am able to get essentially what I want, so far. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow scaling and printing.

I did sign up for one month of SketchUp School, a little pricey but it is well laid out and presented.

Thanks for your response.

Jeff Benson

As @DaveR mentioned. Please do not include signatures in your posts. It is against the community guidelines.

Staying in front view isn’t always going to work, you can still draw things out of plane without noticing.
One option is to create a work plane to draw on (just a grouped rectangle larger than your work), this helps keep everything flat.

1 Like

It’s certainly possible to use SU to do standard 2D drawing work even though that is not what it was designed for. I do it often if I just want very simple architectural plans and elevations. I also frequently mix 2d and 3D work. So I might make a 3D model of my building, create a section through it, and then choose Make Slice from Section to create a 2D version. It is often much quicker to add detail to the 2D drawing than trying to draw every element and iteration that would apply to a 3D drawing.