Early Adopters (of New OS Versions) Be Cautious

Yesterday was the launch of Windows 10 with free upgrades for many existing Windows customers. While we aren’t finding anything that’s going to ruin your day, I wanted to post a reminder that new software and especially beta software (I’m looking at you El Capitan) are not known for their reliability. We strongly recommend having restore options to go back to the previous version of Windows if you’re going to jump out there and upgrade. If you do install Windows 10 and run into issues, be sure to post here if you’re a Make user, or submit a bug if you’re a Pro user but remember that it takes time to FIX issues and even if you find a legitimate bug, it won’t necessarily be fixed quickly, remember that SketchUp is an annually released product and we can’t time our updates to coincide with operating system launches. In short, if you’re worried about losing functionality and productivity, do NOT upgrade until you’re certain it’ll work.

There is currently a beta for El Capitan (OS X 10.11) which SketchUp and LayOut definitely do not work in, we will not support SketchUp in this environment so be aware that you’re using that at your own risk.

** November 18th, 2015 Update - With the release of SketchUp 2016 we now support both Windows 10 and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan.) If you’ve been experiencing any issues on either of these operating systems be sure to upgrade asap. Note that if you have an active Maintenance and Support Plan then the upgrade is free and you should receive an email with your new information soon!**

3 Likes

SketchUp seems to work ok in El Capitan. Just Layout has issues.

That’s good to hear, we’re doing our testing but I don’t have an eye on the list of known issues so am making my blanket warnings early and often. Last year a lot of folks got burned by jumping on Yosemite too early and I want the mantra to be “Don’t install beta & freshly released operating systems on a production machine.” well before they release it.

Windows 10 upgraders may not be aware of a new addition to Windows that has the features of a torrent client. It’s called Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO).
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/your-pc-may-have-been-uploading-windows-10-others-without-you-knowing-it.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+(Gizmo's+Best-ever+Freeware)

Note: if you read this you will find that client is using your computer to help with the world wide distribution of windows 10. Just be aware. I would not normally post some thing like this now , but with providers charging amount you use at 3GB a pop you should be aware :smiling_imp:

1 Like

What is “El Capitan?”

Apple give names to their OS releases. It used to be that the name was a large cat of some kind, Lion, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc. Two years ago they switched to using Californian locations, starting with Mavericks, then Yosemite, and the next version is El Capitan. It’s already in its 6th beta release, and will be released in a month or two from now.

Here’s a Wikipedia article about OS X: macOS - Wikipedia

Yes of course; " El Capitan" is the dramatic vertical face the climbers like. Thank you for the explanation.

Robert Pollock
2929 Via Vaquero
Palm Springs
California 92262
760 799 9805
CA Contractors ‘B’ lic. # 919243

SketchUp Pro 2015 Version 15.3.331 64-bit seems to work with Windows 10 Professional. Sketchup Pro 2015 Layout Version 15.3.331 64-bit seems to work with Windows 10 Professional, too.

I upgraded today (09.08.2015) from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Professional with Windows Update.

Thanks for the heads up. It’s encouraging news for those of us who currently use Windows OS. I think that ultimately we all will be compelled to upgrade to Win10. I have held off upgrading yet to have an opportunity to see what impacts will arise relative to SketchUp and Windows 10.

I’ve got news. I did get the incremental update that added the Windows 10 info icon to the right side of the taskbar, but never manually reserved a copy of Windows 10.

However, unknown to me, the Windows 10 Upgrade is set as an “Important” update in Windows Update. So if you have automatic updates enabled, it will attempt to upgrade your machine whether you wish to or not.

Looking at my update history,… it seems that Windows Update has attempted to upgrade my machine every day since the 2nd of August (that I’ve turned on the machine.) It tried twice this morning, before I switched off all update automation.

All attempts so far (luckily,) have failed with a 80240020 Error code.

@DanRathbun, even Apple aren’t that impolite…
maybe it’s time to switch… lol

Auto Update on a mac never includes major versions, that’s left to user discretion, in-fact it only ever informs me that they are available and I need to agree before it auto instals anything…

john

I had previously set up my systems to only allow updates if I manually authorize them, so despite receiving daily notifications of the availability of the Win10 upgrade, the current versions of Win 8.1 and Win 7 remain happily ensconced on my computers. I continue to monitor comments from other users here and elsewhere in regard to Windows 10 issues and comparative performance; because I don’t feel an urgent need to move to the new OS, I will probably upgrade at some point within the next 3 to 6 months after a definitive positive, consensus is established.

I use Parallels for Windows testing, and I don’t have to do much of that. So, I went through the request Windows 10 steps. One of these days I’ll get the upgrade approval, and can test SketchUp on Windows 10.

One small, annoying thing about Windows 10 is that Title Bars use white as the background color. So if you prefer to model in SketchUp using a white background, the dialogs are difficult to distinguish from the background.

I would expect there to be an option under Win10 that allows modifying the display characteristics where you could change the colors of the title bars shown in various dialog boxes. Such an option is available under both Windows 7 and 8 currently, although it is not easily located.

The white title bar is a property of the window theme.

In XP, Start > Control Panel > Display. There are a couple of options under Theme and more option are available online. To control everything thing yourself under what the OS allows, you are stuck with the classic Win98 theme. To customize the classic theme, go to the Appearance tab in the Display menu.

In Win 7, Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization. The Classic theme can be customized. The Aero themes cannot.

Third-party software, like what Stardock offers allows one to customize window themes. The downside is that such a custom theme adds another background startup process.

El Capitan is released tomorrow. What’s the latest on compatibility with Sketchup 2015?

Glad you asked, I was working on a fresh post about this that I was going to make later today.

In short, as always, only rush into a new OS upgrade if you’re prepared to weather any hiccups that come along. Regardless of SketchUp I always encourage folks to wait to upgrade their OS (be it Windows or OS X) on their computer if it is their lifeblood and they’re dependent on it for income.

That being said, we’re only really seeing 2 issues that are affected with the current beta version of El Cap; Presentations in LayOut aren’t working properly and importing SketchUp files into LayOut are taking a bit longer than they used to. Chances are pretty good that you could upgrade without too much of an impact, but if something DOES break that we aren’t aware of then we can’t guarantee any sort of fast resolution.

1 Like

Thanks alot for your reply Jody.