Dxf to push/pull

Hi,
I have improted dxf - which is made out of separate lines - I would like to pull it to make 3d.

How to do it ? I tried making group and component

You need a face to PushPull.
The DXF came in as lines [no face].
You need to add the required face[s]…
Draw a large flat rectangle, in the plane of your shape, that is bigger than your shape.
Select the shape’s lines and the rectangle, and then use the Context-menu > Intersect > Selected…
If the shape’s edges can form faces then they should cut the rectangle.
Delete the outer edges of the rectangle, and any faced ‘holes’ - to leave the requited face to PushPull.
The shape’s edges as illustrated seem well formed, but if the edges refuse to create individual faces then maybe there are some small gaps in the ‘perimeters’.
To see those more clearly Edit your Style - set Profiles thicker that Edges and show End-points.
Now it’s clearer which edges in the shape need some fixing…
Overdrawing or adding in missing edges can cause faces to form…

1 Like

Looks a lot like the eponymous baby from Alien as it burst from John Hurt’s abdomen.

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/chest.burstercb.jpg

-Gully

almost there :slight_smile:

still can not figure it out how to make this holes…

where I exactli clik for this Edit your style ? - which menu ?

Don’t Push/Pull until after you’ve removed the holes, Trace over any single line element of the hole outlines to cut the hole outlines into the (Alien head) shape. Then select and delete the faces covering the holes.

-Gully

Now I know that there is some hole on the left when I make additional line it make surface -

so again - how to make exactly this - where to find Edit your style

The shape’s edges as illustrated seem well formed, but if the edges refuse to create individual faces then maybe there are some small gaps in the ‘perimeters’.
To see those more clearly Edit your Style - set Profiles thicker that Edges and show End-points.

Don’t draw across the shape–trace one of the line elements of the outline. It would be easy to demonstrate if you want to upload your model.

-G

here is the model … I am tracking - but can not find the open space - I only mark blue

12.skp (1.1 MB)

Window > Styles > Model-tab [house-icon] > Edit…
Edges sub-tab…

As Gully says - if you Style shows thick profile edges rather that thin ones then the inner faces aren’t [yet] separate.
Draw over one of those currently ‘unfaced’ edges and a separate face should form over the hole, and the profiles’ edges become thinner ones to reflect that…
Select the unwanted face over the hole and press the delete key.
Only PushPull when you have the one selectable face containing the required ‘holes’.
Note that in your second illustration you have pushed downwards, creating an inside out form - pull upwards and the initially visible base face extrudes will external faces outwards [default materials vary with Style, but a front is generally off-white and the backside is bluish]…
Having incorrectly oriented faces is not a deal breaker within SketchUp - although it can confuse later PushPulls etc, and lead to working placed materials… but if you intend rendering the object or 3dPrinting it then correctly oriented faces become more important, since they can prevent a successful result…
So it’s good to always get it right as you model…
Use Monochrome mode to view your model as you go, it’s easier to fix as you model rather than at the end when you are all but done [you think!]…

I downloaded your file and did what @TIG says: just traced a single edge of the hexagon, being careful to get inferences at both ends, and the hexagon then cut the large face. Delete the hexagon and pushpull the result.

yep :slight_smile: thanks guys you are great