Drawing correct geometry to use the Push/Pull tool

Hiya,

So I’m new to Sketchup and have been trying to create and recreate a sofa for work.

I have my dims of the sofa as a rectangle to start of with and have been sectioning of the widths and lengths of each seat cushion and back frame.

When I am ready to use the push-pull tool, the face or surface of the rectangular box to represent the top of the seat cushion is not there.

I have tried to go back to my videos regarding drawing geometry, grouping and using the push-and-pull tool but nothing seems to fix my problem.

I’ve added the file so everyone can see.
PRACTICE AGAIN 30TH DEC.skp (193.4 KB)

Any ideas?

Hi, I had a look at your file.

• One half of it is grouped and the other isn’t. When grouped you can’t interact with geometry unless you open that group or explode it.

• Using push-pull won’t work as intended here so you have to use the CTRL button to create an extra face.

• However, in this instance it’s better to use edges (lines) to close the geometry rather than use push pull.

Sketchup has to figure out which lines and surfaces go together. Sometimes SU can’t work out which edges to prioritize. When this happens, SU seems to be “broken” but it’s a programming issue as far as I can see.

Sketchup Geometry that won’t behave is frustrating. To overcome this, here is a workaround:

1. Select the geometry that’s not behaving properly.
2. Group it.
3. Open the group and edit the geometry inside it.
4. (Hopefully you can fix the geometry, but if you can’t then delete the geometry that’s not behaving and then rebuild it.)
5. Close the group.
6. Explode the group.

Voila- Geometry fixed.

Let me know how it goes.

learn.sketchup.com

4 Likes

If you spend some time at The Learning Center, you will learn how to use the tools to get what you want. (interactive tutorials) Also, go to The SketchUp YouTube Channel and pay attention to the Square One series. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.

2 Likes

See this SU file for ideas.

Push:Pull precaution.skp (153.1 KB)

Hi Le_Corb.

Yes, I should have explained that I created two different approaches when trying to create this bloody sofa - hahha.

Regarding the very first sofa that you saw, which is the grouped 6 seater:

• Yes before asking for help I noticed that I could only edit the group, exploded it or made it a component.

What I am seeking is the proper way of approaching geometry. From following LinkedIn learning, youtube and Sketchup’s videos, it can all get a bit confusing.

With the first 6-seater sofa that is grouped: I applied Sketchup’s teaching of grouping any geometry that would be drawn again, which led to total disruptions.

The problem that I am trying to understand is that when I drew the RHS of the sofa, I noticed that the bottom of each box had a missing face. - I had triple-checked, re-drawn and went on youtube to follow: SketchUp won't create a face where I want it to - YouTube and the problem still persists (even on my second sofa).

I would love to know if it’s a glitch in the system, human error (moi) or another factor that I don’t know of that could contribute to this problem.

I tried pressing CTRL + P tool = yes it created the face that was missing, but is that the correct way or should I say industry standard of drawing geometry? My manager’s approach never showcases any missing faces :0, so I keep thinking what is the right way to ensure proper geometry to prevent poor performances.

Another thing that I would like to know, is that when I am drawing and all lines are enclosed, why are some boxes missing and some aren’t? - I’ve triple-checked, redrawn an enclosed boundary and tried: [STYLES tab - Architectural design style - Edit - Edges - Colour: Axis] to try and see if it was my drawing approach.

I’ve probably responded with too much information, but any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

A

Couch2
See the difference between a single face and a face that is connected to other loose geometry…

Sorry for the bad Gif, first time in a long time…

Ahhh thank you.

Will do.

Happy New Year to you.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

I never thought of doing it like this.
I also love how you made a sofa in less than 2 minutes, while I was trying to do build another sofa, which took me three hours :0

Happy new year to you.

OOh I see.

So any connected geomatry can automatically prevent a bottom face from being drawn or resulted into a solid box?

Very interesting.

Thank you so much.

Just tried it out by making each segment a component and all faces are closed boundries and are solids.

Thank you.

HNY to you.

1 Like

FWIW, the default behavior when the face is attached to adjacent faces is that you must be wanting to create an indentation or projection from the multi-face surface, not a box that happens to project from it. The modifier key is the way you tell SketchUp that you really do want a box.

The best work flow is to create the box before you add the adjacent faces and then immediately make it a group or component so that entanglement with the other faces is prevented. Of course, that requires foresight about where you are heading, which isn’t always possible.

3 Likes

Hiya,

Ahh no need to apologise at all. I understood your demonstration.

Just so im crystal clear as you, anything that is drawn that is connected to “loose” geometry, not enclosed or in a group/ component, automatically affects the highlighted drawn shape/boundry to not be a solid?

Kind regards & HNY to you.

A

1 Like

Don’t overthink it.
A single face will naturally pull into a 3d object.
But a face in a face will form a niche.
That’s about as simple as it gets, but that is how it all works.

1 Like

Ahhh I got you, except for the Modifyer key. I quickly youtube’d and I’m under the impression that the modifyer key is pressing the CTRL key to change the where your starting point is or to manipulate certain points of a closed boundry from different edges, centre points or other inferences? - Is that correct?

Oh 100% agreed. Just tried it out and my light-bulb moment switched right on. haha

Thank you.

HNY to year.

Kind regards

A

Lol overthinker logs on hahaha.

I started to fiddle more with a lot of the advice I was given. I now can see how simple it is.

TQ.

Happy New Year to you.

A

2 Likes