Drawing An Armrest With a Volute?

I’m trying to copy what I see being done in the video by DaveR.

I’m not getting very far without running into problems.
I can’t seem to adjust the segments as shown. As you can see the segments window shows 20 and is faded out.

What I’m I doing wrong that I can’t adjust the segments?

Thanks,

Your selection in the end shows a curve consisting of two arcs (or whatever), not just one arc.
You can only adjust/change the segment count of arcs or circles, not composed curves.
Try splitting the curve at the right spot with a dummy edge drawn to that spot, then selecting only the arc.

Type the number of segments you want straight after the doubleclick while the control points are still active.
Or
The BZ toolbar has an edit button, select the curve, click the edit button and type the number of segments you want.

Edit: just to be clear I mean type 60s and hit enter, without trying to get into the segment box.

That may do the trick, but I don’t see Dave mention anything about doing it that way in his video. I must be missing something so maybe that’s it.

Yeah, was trying that before I posted. Just don’t seem to work. I know that is how I enter a lot of other info well making models, but nothing happen when I type to change it.

Here is what I’m working with.
armrest.skp (1.1 MB)

I have to ask, did you read my post?

I don’t know why it would not work in my first attempt but I decided to do File>New and start over fresh. Works like I would expect it to now.

Guess when I’m playing around and just trying different things it maybe be best to start with File>New instead of select all and delete.

1 Like

I don’t know what to tell you as that gif above is on your model.

I’m sure it was some kind of operator error.
Maybe someday I will run across the problem again and then be able to figure out what I was doing wrong. As for now starting over worked.

One finished armrest ready for grading. :smiley:

armrest.skp (1.4 MB)

Thanks

and now it’s a nice solid like I thought it was the first time haha.

armrest.skp (1.4 MB)

Not bad at all. Good work.

1 Like