Downloading SketchUp Pro to new computer

Pretty much - what’s your suggestion?

For when I win the lottery…

This will probably get someone’s panties in a bundle but if you look at the concerns raised about performance and things running slowly, it’s pretty much always from Mac users. For that and other reasons, not to mention price for value, I went with a PC laptop. Nvidia GPU and lower investment cost.

2 Likes

Also easier to upgrade if you need more umph.

2 Likes

The recent slowness issues was mostly in LayOut, and were with 2020.1. You will have 2019.3, and shouldn’t see those problems.

I get on well with my 16 inch MacBook Pro.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know.

Value can be measured on different levels. The time I have saved with my Macbook during 2013-2017, taking it to the job site was well spend on actually using it compared to ‘maintaining’ the 3 windows laptops I used in the four years prior to that.

Used to be:

• Client asking to show him the design model
  • grabbing laptop, notice power outage, getting to the car to get the loader, looking for an outlet, opening the lid, wait for updates to download and install, starting Windows, get the latest driver for the Bluetooth mouse, Open SketchUp, show the model.

With my MB:
Get the Macbook, open the lid, show the client.

Having a unibody with minimum openings kept my Macbook running under those conditions, now my daughter is still using it.

For the non tech savy, you can learn to love a Mac, and you can start hating Windows.

As a result of my switch back then from Windows ‘back to the Mac’, I ended up with a version 8 SketchUp for Windows which is still active(!)
Back then, licenses where platform dependent, now you can switch any time.

For heavy rendering or pointclouds, I use Bootcamp. Had to hack a little to override apple’s graphic driver for it would not let me run Enscape.
Best of both worlds (or worst of both)

1 Like

I wanted to test something in SketchUp 8 today. I do have an active license, but that is Mac specific, so I installed it in Windows 10 under Parallels (there is little hope of it running under recent Mac OS versions). Managed to do my tests.

Thanks, this is great to know