Does Make with license become Pro?

Disclaimer: I’m not a Sketchup user, but I support (potential) users of both Pro and Make. I do not have a license (yet).

I guess the root of my question is why there are two, independent (and rather large) downloads if the Make install includes the same 30-day trial as the Pro install? Wouldn’t it be more efficient to just have one Make/Pro install?

I’ve observed that Make will revert to just Make without a license and Pro will just stop working. Does Make “become” Pro when a valid license is provided including changing the Pro splash screen and “about” window, or does it still identify itself as Make but have all the functions of Pro?

I’ve also noticed that the Pro install wants to restart the computer, but the Make install does not. Thus, it appears they are different beyond the features listed on the comparison page.

Will the Make install work with a pre-populated serial number distributed in an activation_info.txt file?

Thanks.

(The following is given in a “matter of fact” manner. Do not read any nastiness into it. It is just the way things are.)

Most of the above questions are inappropriate for public discussion.

The “under the hood” and “behind the scenes” details of the SketchUp installers and licensing are privy only to Trimble employees. Anyone else who may know (ie, distributors, partners, etc.,) are surely under a non-disclosure agreement of some kind. (Mentioned in passing within some of the online EULAs.)

Anyone else who may think they know, is also under the EULA* agreements, which has a non-reverse engineer clause. The discussion of details, behind the answers to your questions, fall under that (clause 2.5,) in my opinion.

Re, efficiency, … It is not always the paramount goal in some situations, for reasons that may not be apparent.

Several of your questions were followed by vague observations. These should be considered as the publicly allowable answers. Not being a customer, nor a licensee, nor a Trimble employee, nor a “vetted” partner, etc., does not really entitle you (or anyone) to any more detailed answers than can be found in the following SketchUp Knowledge Center sections:

* Ref: SOFTWARE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (Trimble SketchUp)

Ooookaay…

That is an… odd answer. I don’t read nastiness. It does make me suspicious of sneakiness and/or fear of discovery (of what I can only guess). My “Why” question was more or less rhetorical. It is the business of Trimble, but some companies have logical, less secretive reasons that explain everything, so I thought I would ask.

Here is my situation why I asked if Make “becomes” Pro:

I support a large number of potential users and build a master image to go on nearly every computer. Many users would like to use Make. Some users will have a Pro license purchased for them and have that license distributed to their machine. Some users will purchase Pro with their own funds and manage their own license, and we also have a lab that will have Pro with a network license.

It would make things so much easier if I can create a single image, but If users who purchase a Pro license see “Make” they won’t be happy. That goes double if an authorized “Pro” trial version buried in the Make install is not completely Pro (which I suspect based on my “vague observations” of differences in the install).

So my simple, non-invasive questions for anyone the community who may have experienced this and I can’t imagine are off-limits to ask boil down to:

1. Can the Make install be authorized on a Network as an Administrator? The link describes “Sketchup”, not “Sketchup Pro”.
  2. Does the Make install continue to present itself as “Make” even when a the included Pro trial has been licensed?

If the answer to either of those is “no”, then we will likely not include Make or Pro in our supported software.

Thanks.

Just trying to be diplomatic, and to the point.

That can work both ways. There is history with this software, and it’ s 3rd-party resources, with regard to hacking and breaking the license management and content property protections.

So, again. You are still publicly “fishing”.

My own feeling is that (2) is unlikely, and you should probably install Make. I do not know if (1) only applies to licensed Pro or also Make in trial-mode.

But, I suggest you contact SketchUp support directly, and make your case, and get the answers “direct from the horse’s mouth”:
http://help.sketchup.com/en/contact

I came to the community because I didn’t see a way to ask Trimble when I don’t have a license code short of a sales inquiry. Most other community forums (dozens) to which I send inquiries are quite happy to answer questions that, frankly, should be answered in the public documentation.

I apologize if I raised anyone’s piracy alert, but if answers to basic questions like these increase the risk of piracy, then maybe the licensing/protection implementation needs to be improved. The fishing expeditions I’ve observed necessarily try to get way more nitty-gritty detail.

I’ll try to make things as short as I can.

If you say in Sketchup site you are a professional they give you a download link to Sketchup Pro Trial. As you are a professional you can’t use Sketchup Make. Sketchup Pro Trial ends after 30 days and it doesn’t revert to Sketchup Make as you can’t use it. It is now dead!

If you say in Sketchup site you are not a professional wich means your work with sketchup will not be reverted into income, you are directed to Sketchup Make download. However, in the first month of using Sketchup Make you are given the chance to test Sketchup Pro Features. Given is not the right word as nobody asks if you want to try the features but anyway in the end it will revert to Make and you can keep using it (because you’re not using it commercially).

Now, from the moment you licence a copy of Sketchup Make, you are entitled to all pro features and your sketchup Make licence becomes a Pro licence, From the moment you pay trimble for a Sketchup licence you are paying for the Pro licence.

In terms of functionallity, Make version as some less features than Pro. You won’t have access to :

• Layout (to create 2D output from your 3D models);
  • Solid Tools (to perform boolean operations on special solid groups/components);
  • Dynamic Component’s editing (you can still interact with them);
  • Classifier (very handy for BIM classifications);
  • Style Builder (to create styles for lines);
  • I don’t remember much more…
    EDIT: - I remembered a very important one wich is Pro exporters/importers like DWG/CAD FBX export, etc…

Thank you for the helpful answer. I now better understand the motivations of the previous answerer too.

What I neglected to say at the beginning is that I am supporting educational (not facilities) users (faculty and students) at a state (non-profit) University. As I read the license, Make is for non-profit work and could be installed in a classroom/grad lab or even on (many) faculty desks. Hence I am interested in including it on a standard image for a department.

However, the department is interested in getting some Educational, Pro licenses. If they will be fully served with the Make install using the Pro license, then I’m all set. If there are features of Pro (including the identification) that are not available from a Make install even though the Pro trial has been licensed, then I need to work up a different solution for the Pro users.

Do you see my problem here? The feature differences list doesn’t make it clear if those features are ONLY for a Pro install or if they are also available with a Make install (that has a Pro trial) for which a user has provided a valid Pro license.

Thank you.

Educational licenses are a whole separate creature.

Learn more about our offerings for Educational Institutions HERE.

I have already looked through the educational information, and have not found the answers. Hence I am here. :slight_smile:

Although Pro is very inexpensive for faculty and students, it is not free. Am I correct in thinking that Make would be free for (most) users in education? [edit: I should say we are a state school, so is that considered Government – i.e. requiring a Pro license?]

If that is the case, then we could install Make on all the computers in a department. Then, we could push the Pro lab license to the lab/classroom through the network. Additionally, whomever purchases a “free” license as a Faculty member, could simply enter the license information without needing support for an Make uninstall/Pro install.

There is incentive for you here too as Faculty and/or students are much more likely to purchase a Pro license if the Make/Pro trial is already on the computer than if they have to track it down and install it themselves.

Thanks.