Does anyone know a way to "thicken" the entire model?

Hi. I’ve got an unusual problem. I have an entire model that needs to be thickened. The best example I could give is if I were in an old time architecture studio space (before they used computers) and I went to secure the paper to the board and i found out it wasn’t quite think enough to be held by tape at the corners. So, I went to get another, thicker sheet of paper. Just throwing it out there. I’ve been swapping e-mails with the SketchUp team for two weeks, and they don’t know. So, I’d just throw this out there and see if anyone here had any ideas on what could work.

Actually, it’s more of a “sculpture” type of deal, and they told me I put it together in an unusual way. That’s true, I suppose I did, but it is the first time I’ve used SketchUp, but I have training in Architecture (B.S. Georgia Tech '94), no CAD or any other computer training though. But the model is too big to attach here, and it has quite a lot of detail, a person’s face is part of it, for example. The problem is that I have lines that need to be erased in order to use push/pull on Bezier curves, but if I erase the lines, I also lose part of the face. So, I need to get the portions of the model thicker.

I just wondered if somebody knows anything specific about this.

Have you tried with Fredos JPP (joint push pull) plugin?

This might also be of interest:
Bezier Surface Editor is now open source!

So when erasing some of the edges that make up the surface of the “sculpture” the face(s) that used the edge(s) are also erased ?

This is normal. You could trace one of the edges in the hole (that makes up the removed faces,) and SketchUp should fill in the hole again.

FYI, edges, faces, surfaces, guidelines, etc. do not “have” a thickness. (They are without width or thickness.) But a solid (manifold) volume CAN have dimension(s).

P.S.: You can post images here from the model view (and annotate them in an image editor) to illustrate you point.

Yes. I tried w/ Fredo’s Joint Push/Pull plugin. I still run into the same problem. Because I am trying to decorate my model with multiple Bezier curves, I need to change the lines that SketchUp put onto my model when I was constructing it. The thing that is frustrating is that it is only part of the model (“a sculpture”) that has the problem. On other parts I am able to actually do the decorations with multiple raised Bezier curves.

“annotate them in an image editor”? I don’t even think I would know where to start. Although I am going to check out Bezier Surface Editor because the parts that I do have problems with do fall into the category of “Bezier Surface” on a much larger scale. So, thanks. I can try that.

There are file sharing sites like drop box you can upload to their site, then copy and post the URL. Make sure you set sharing so we can down load it

Your model can be uploaded to a cloud storage service (Google Drive, iDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.) and the link can be shared here. This allows you to submit the model without the usual file size restriction.
Edit: I see that @mac7595 just beat me to providing the above information.

Why not try this. Make the portion of the model containing the sculpture a separate component. Put this new component on a distinct layer. Turn the layer off. Now you should be able to edit the model by itself. You can scale your walls or floors as needed to thicken the dimension as desired.

"Why not try this. Make the portion of the model containing the sculpture a separate component. Put this new component on a distinct layer. Turn the layer off. Now you should be able to edit the model by itself. You can scale your walls or floors as needed to thicken the dimension as desired."That sounds like a great idea. That is what I need. I will have to work to understand it as this is my first time using SketchUp (I know, I know), and my model IS the sculpture. But like I said, there are only certain parts that need to be worked with. Unfortunately, they are probably 60-70% of the model.

And I’m so sorry, but I am totally unfamiliar with Google Drive, iDrive, Dropbox, etc… It took me two days of the SketchUp Team Member walking me through the process of uploading a model so he could see it, and he provided the thing-a-ma-jig. I was raised using Apple but now I’m using Windows and I’m sorry, but sometimes that kind of stuff just doesn’t seem to connect with the left side of my brain (damaged in a stroke 17 years ago). Fortunately for me, I think 90% on the right side of my brain. I’m a spatial/visual learner: so if I see it, I will know exactly what you’re talking about.

I think this is true for most people. If you can find a way to display your model, I’m pretty sure that someone will be able to help you.

Cloud services can be located in a browser search engine, but here are several url locations that may aid you: Representative Sample of Cloud Storage Providers.

Many of these are free and allow larger files to be uploaded.

I am getting ready to go out of town with my husband for his continuing education conference. But, thank you, when i get back, I will have time to look into that.