Do other industries use SketchUp other than Architecture and Interiors. Like say Media?

We use Sketchup for construction estimating and construction detailing, in fact, we build plugins for builders, contractors, roofers, shed builders, plumbers and many more industries.

I even designed a motorbike track for short circuit racing in Australia that gets international riders so I can not see any reason why Sketchup can not be used in any chosen profession.
Although Sketchup is technically a CAD tool, it is actually a communication tool.

3 Likes

That is very interesting you use SU for piping. I am a long time user of SW for plant design and system piping. If possible I would like to see one of your designs.

Hi Tom, hi folks.

Here are four pictures of simple projects all created in real size to ascertain the feasibility of design.

On the first one you can see a part of the AutoCAD drawing that served as a reference and that I imported in SU. All the rest of this model as well as all the other 3 models are 100% SU. The only plugins I used were Engineering Toolbox and Pipe along path.

2 Likes

I’m an Applications Engineer and use SketchUp to produce detailed models of automated assembly machines and robotic assembly systems.

It’s so much faster than Inventor or Solid Works. I can knock up a £1.5M assembly system in a couple of days.

Jean, impressive. Do you get a full BOM from your spools?

Tom

No, it was not required. The company I was working with was using softwares like AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Catia. Revit, just to name a few.

I was the only one using SketchUp. I could have created B.O.M. using the report feature of SU but I was not involved in doing that.

However, I surprised my colleagues when I showed them a complete model of a project including, mechanical, electrical and civil. I made the model in about 40 hours and everything was in it : concrete, columns, beams, stairs, handrails, doors, windows, major electrical equipment and all mechanical systems with all piping. I was not mandated to do that but I decided to do it anyway just to prove that SU is a valid tool. The model proved very useful since I was able validate a dimension in 5 seconds, using the Tape Measure Tool. One of my colleague took more than half an hour going through many AutoCAD drawings, adding and subtracting dimensions to arrive at a result he was not sure of. When he saw the model and that I could get any dimension very quickly he was hooked. Eventually, L was invited to join a group of experts for a presentation to our client. Needless to say that I brought the model with me to give a 3D presentation of the whole building.

In a another company, using AutoCAD drawings in paper form, I created a complete model of an hydro electrical powerhouse in about a month in my spare time. That was a good way of learning SU that was at version 3.1 at that time.

3 Likes

In the Gallery section is a member that will give you great inspiration in what SketchUp can do. If you understand it. Here is the link to his work and rendered items. He also has 3 items in the 3D Warehouse to play with.

Search : blueblankey from All Categories

This is Gallery link: BlueBlankey’s Sketchup Gallery

2 Likes

@SKETCHedTSR You Should check out the “3 Skeng” Plugin I usually google it, I am not sure if it is on the warehouse but that plugin is the best MEP plugin going IMHO

It is a shame so many miss the real power, great job Jean.

If you’d be so kind I would also love to see an example of this too. If you’d be available of course.

2 Likes

I agree 100% with this…

Hi Andrew, hi folks.

I know about 3SKeng, I even tested their piping module a little when they started. I sent them a few comments about the way their software was creating some elbows and tees that where not totally compliant with real dimensions of ANSI fittings.

They have probably corrected that now but, since I am retired since 2019, I don’t have real needs for such a plugin. Although, if they or another company want more testing, I am available for that.

1 Like

1 Like

Some typical machine images from some old quotes I’ve done. The latest frames are better (more substantial), but I can’t share those with you yet.

Cheers

Pete

7 Likes

Powerful! If the complete library comes with the download, that is fantastic. It took me months to develop a library of parts and fittings.

Thank you for sharing.

Great! I can’t hit the like button twice. I wish I could.

Anyone following this thread might take some time to do the survey:

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

Mee too.

2 Likes

Wow. Impressive work! And after all the jacks are in their boxes? (are those jacks?)