Difference between V-ray and Lumion

Hi, can anybody tell me difference or when to use V-ray and when to use Lumion? Do I understand that Lumion has much more functions than V-ray? Thanks a lot

Try them out with the demo’s. The full blown version of Lumion is 5x the cost of V-Ray. And the standard is twice the price. I don’t know but it may be 5x faster with 5x the functionality and materials. I didn’t even look at lumion for it was way out of my price range.

I haven’t used Lumion but i know Vray well enough.
It highly depends on for what purpose you’re going to use it.

In short:
Lumion is for architects and to make their workflow faster (with fast renders and ready-made library).
Vray is for architects & designers to make their work desirably good (realistic or cartoony).

As far as i read/watched/observed, Lumion’s prominent feature is being quite faster (especially exteriors) and having a huge library of objects, materials, sounds & effects ready to use (which makes it too expensive i think). On the other hand Vray only has materials library and might be overwhelming because of the hard learning curve (but it got a lot better with new versions) but render results will be ‘better’ and more advanced for post processing (Lumion has no .exr output option for example).

If you look at their websites/mottos, also Lumion and Vray showcase sections, we can easily say that their target audience is architectural firms. But Vray is more; i’ve seen quite amount of industrial designers, motion picture studios, CGI artists using it. They even won an academy award!
However be aware that these advantages of Vray might not yet apply for SketchUp yet because SketchUp lacks of features for motion pictures and CGI comparing to other design suites (3ds Max etc.).

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.