Deleting layout sheet

Long ago I made a layout template (cover sheet), didn’t like it and made another - which is the second one. I want to delete the first one, and use the second one as my default cover sheet. I tried selecting the whole sheet, and cutting it ( I didn’t see a delete button) but it still remains. Then I tried switching the order, so the second one was the first.
I then tried again to select the second sheet but it won’t delete.

I don’t know how to delete the offending sheet once and for all.

Is this cover sheet just a page in your template that you want to get rid of? If that’s the case, you can remove the page by deleting it in the Pages panel. Highlight the page and click the - in the square at the top left.
Screenshot%20-%206_28_2019%20%2C%204_00_00%20PM

Thanks. Man o man. This program makes me crazy. Now the list says # 1 cover sheet (which is A-1) 2. page 3 ( which is A-2) and 3. page 4 ( which is A-3)

Am I supposed to rename them sheet Page 2 etc?

Edit - Yep. That worked.

G

You don’t have to rename them unless it makes it easier for you. You could name the page that is your new cover sheet as Cover Sheet or you could name them Allan, Bill, Chuck, and Denise.

Ok. This is seriously making me crazy. I opened layout, and did the steps you described to remove the page. It went off into the ether. Or so I thought.

I tried to send my model to layout from SU. Nothing happened. So I closed LO and went to SU and opened LO from there.

Lo and behold - the sheet I had deleted had returned. What I need to do apparently is delete it from the template so it is permanently deleted.

G

After you’ve changed your template file you need to save it as a template. You can save it with a revised name or navigate to User/App Data/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/LayOut/Templates and delete the old one before saving the new one.

When I open LO the template is correct. When I open LO from SU it uses the previous version. Gahh. I guess I am going to try to close and reopen SU to see if it purges the old one from memory.

Edit. That worked. Thanks G

Now I proceed until I hit the next pitfall on the learning curve. G

So if I read you correctly, you’re all set for now?

yes. Thanks - how ever did you learn this? G

Learn what?

Lay out. There are so many hidden things - never would I have thought to look at those squares to the top left to find where to delete the page. I searched every button on the edit pull down menu to no avail. I finally figured out how to get the delete button to work by selecting the whole page. I was stymied by it being greyed out.
Same thing with the scale. It was greyed out, till I tried hitting ortho. Then I could change the scale to 1/4" - and when I did? The view port changed drastically. So I ended up quitting out of LO and in SU, moving different objects I created for my detail sheet farther away from my model, saving it, then reopening LO via SU, resetting the scale, and then reopening scene which now didn’t have these other objects scattered in it. Then I was able to make some copies of the view point.

I dunno - SU was intuitive to me, LO is the opposite. The last time I gave up. Printed the different parts of my model that I exported, cut them out, and taped them to a sheet of 11 x 17, and went to kinkos and scanned them as PDFs and submitted them electronically to the building dept.

So here I am again questioning why I don’t just do the same thing once again.
G

I think the problem for many users is they don’t keep the tray open or use those panels.

Some of this is just common computer stuff. Delete doesn’t work on anything unless you tell it what to delete by selecting it. So of course the button to delete the page would be grayed out until you select the page from the list.

This implies to me that you aren’t actually setting things up properly between SketchUp and LayOut. The proper work flow is to create scenes in SketchUp for the views you want. If you need to create scaled views in LayOut, set the camera to Parallel Projection and select the appropriate standard view for the scene. In LayOut, select that scene for the viewport and set the scale. No need to click the Ortho button at all.

I guess you could do that again but it seems to me at some point you just need to learn to use the tools you have correctly so you aren’t having to work so hard. I think if I was reduced to working like I had to in the 70s when I helped to put out my high school’s newspaper, I’d find something else to do.

Why don’t you order a copy of Nick Sonder’s book?

1 Like

I did do scenes, but did not know they needed to be in parallel projection. News to me. Now that you said it , it makes sense. If you want to see my model it is on the making construction details thread I started.

I do appreciate your help, you and the others who post here. I hope you realize that. Part of my problem is that I am multi hatted - I am a GC so I do a variety of jobs, some of which have plans, some of which I have to make presentation sketches, or in this case a full set of plans, meet clients, do job walks, estimate and sell the jobs, run the jobs, sometimes pick up my tool belt and work with my crew, do the payroll, workers comp, pay invoices etc. and try to fit in time for my family. It is a time consuming profession.

So I have to cram in trying to learn something while keeping all the balls in the air at once. There aren’t enough hours in a day, or so it seems. In the past on some occasions, I hired a draftsman to do the plans based on sheets printed from my models - which has it’s own set of pitfalls. I thought this time it would be simple, but it has morphed into something else.

G

I’m looking at your file now. There are no scenes in it.

Scale settings don’t work in Perspective views.

I guess it’s like any other tool. Think about a Bobcat or chainsaw. You need to invest the time to learn to use it properly or you can waste a lot of time or do some damage. At least no one has ever cut off a foot using SketchUp.

I haven’t imported them into LO yet. They are in the SU model. Didn’t the SU model up load? Maybe you go the wrong model?

Oh Hell - that was an older version - see this one. G
Edit - I ordered sonders book BTW.

BBQ engineering.skp (2.6 MB)

OK. This latest one does have scenes.

So after selecting the viewport and choosing a scene that is set up with the camera in Parallel Projection and a standard view, the Scale setting is available. No need to click on the Ortho button or select a view in the SketchUp Model panel. Just select the scene and set the scale.

I’ll give it a go when I get back in an hour or so. Thanks G

You are also better off not saving your standards to the default location as that is typically your c drive. That drive is better preserved for programs and data. You can set layout to look at any location on your computer. Mine are all set in a separate drive that has my standards folder. This contains all my templates, scrapbooks, details etc. that way you leave your primary operating drive less cluttered.