Deleting a template

How can I delete a template that I’ve created in LayOut?

Assuming it’s a PC: custom templates are kept in…

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2014\LayOut\Templates

Delete [or move] the one[s] you don’t want to retain…

2 Likes

Dear TIG,
Sorry to say it’s not a PC. I use a Mac.
Thanks anyway.
dh

For Mac,

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/LayOut/Templates/

(where USERNAME is your username)

Dear Marc,
I appreciate the help, but that path makes no sense to me. I have no Users folder. And the SketchUp 2014 folder within Applications does not have a sub folder for LayOut. Is there an altenative way to get to the LayOut/Templates?
Again, thanks.
dh

The location on MAC IS very similar to a PC…
AND of course you have a Users folder !
Where do you think your Users Plugins folder is kept ?
To find it hold Opt key in the Finder > Go menu, so the Library folders are added to the available destinations…

To open it from within SketchUp itself use this in the Ruby Console +enter
Replace USERNAME with your own User-Name !

UI.openURL(“file:///Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/LayOut/Templates”)
OR
UI.openURL(“file:///#{File.dirname(File.dirname(Sketchup.find_support_file(‘Plugins’)))}/LayOut/Templates”)

Dear TIG,
I learn something every day. Your answer did the trick (but you already knew that it would).
Many thanks.
dh

TIG,
I am on a PC. Where do you go when you hit C:Users>User Name> and all you get is a list of folders and NO AppData? Can’t go past User Name. There is no AppData. What next?

[quote=“pault728, post:8, topic:1498”]
I am on a PC. Where do you go when you hit C:Users>User Name> and all you get is a list of folders and NO AppData? Can’t go past User Name. There is no AppData. What next?
[/quote] The AppData folder [and many others] are hidden by default in Windows - to protect you from yourself!
You can change Windows Explorer > Tools > View > “Folder options…” to show hidden folders etc…
Or alternatively use the earlier line in the SketchUp > Windows > Ruby Console:
UI.openURL(“file:///#{File.dirname(File.dirname(Sketchup.find_support_file(‘Plugins’)))}/LayOut/Templates”)
To open your user’s Templates folder

1 Like

Hi David-
Hold down the “option” key on your keyboard, and open the “Go” Finder menu. There should be a “Library” entry in that menu. Choose it and a Finder window should come up displaying your user-specific Library folder. Double-click on “Application Support”, then “SketchUp 2014”, then “LayOut” and “Templates”. Your custom templates should all be in that directory.
thanks,Marc

1 Like

Hi there,
I have Sketch-up 15 on Pc. I got to the template folder but it’s empty even if I have 3 custom templates. Maybe because I didn’t save them under “My templates”?

If I try to create a new document, the templates I create are under default templates

What ‘Templates’ folder are you referring to ?

Each User’s customized LO Templates folder is in their AppData path - e.g.
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\LayOut\Templates

The main ‘shipped’ LO Templates folders and subfolders are found in:
C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\LayOut\templates
These are available to all Users on that PC.

1 Like

Got it…they are in the second link you wrote.

Thanks Tig

I am also trying to purge my templates window. I go through the file path listed above starting with the User folder and my Templates folder is empty. I have created 8 or 9 custom templates and I want to delete them to start fresh now that I know the exact settings I want in a template.

[EDIT]

My custom templates were saved in the folder with the stock templates.

I followed the path /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/LayOut/Templates/

but when i get into the Sketchup2016 folder there is no Layout or template folder at all. help! where are they? how do i delete old templates is it different for 2016?

Your profile says you have SketchUp Pro, so Layout should be present. Are you sure you have Pro? Can you run the Layout app? The path is the same and is as stated in your post (except of course for 2016 instead of 2014) .

@slbaumgartner yes i definitely have pro i can follow the path all the way up until the point where i need to click on the layout folder because its not there.

That doesn’t look like the path for Users/Username/Library/Application Support…

You are looking at the system-level /Library, not at /Users/yourname/Library (aka ~/Library)! SketchUp hasn’t kept per-user information such as templates there since SU 2014. What may have thrown you is that your per-user Library is by default hidden in Finder. Unless you have previously unhidden it, you must use Go->Go to folder and enter ~/Library to steer Finder there.

@slbaumgartner oh i didn’t realize the difference between those. i found it! Thank you!!