Curved windows in curved ceiling

The Historic Hallway2.skp (2.9 MB)

I have been unable to figure out how to make a curved window cut through a curved ceiling. I’m hoping someone can help. It seems the curve in the ceiling keeps it from being a solid so solid tools doesn’t work. I tried intersecting faces but that didn’t work. I’ve been using Flex Tools for windows but they must be on a flat surface to cut through.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

wdi-04

Basics of SketchUp at https://learn.sketchup.com/

wdi-05

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick response! I’m trying to follow the bottom video but something’s not quite right when I do it. I’m sure I’m missing something. Are these the right steps?
1.Selecting both the entire hall and the individual window, and exploding both.
2. With both still selected, intersect faces with selection.
3. Erase extra window geometry.
4. Select window faces and delete.

Also, once I get this to work, I could delete the other windows and use array to insert the same window that you used all the way along the wall. Will it work for me then to select and explode all the windows at once, along with the hallway, and intersect faces with selection?

I don’t know how to make my screen recording show the menu, but this is what I’m seeing when I follow the steps I outlined above.

You’re welcome!

The way your model looks now, you have complicated yourself unnecessarily and it would be much simpler if you started from 0, knowing the steps you should follow.
But first you should learn the basics of SketchUp.

If you have imported a DWG file, position it as close to the origin as possible.
It will be imported as a component, so assign it a tag, lock it and use it as a reference.

Use the layers (tags) imported with the dwg file to temporarily turn off them and keep only one open at a time for better visibility and draw the new components over.

As your model looks, draw separately components for repeating elements, having the dwg component as a guide only.

Don’t leave raw geometry (edges, faces) free in your drawing and don’t tag it.
Make all the elements you draw into groups or components, to which then assign tags (walls, floors, stairs, windows, doors, etc.).

Try to work as cleanly and simply as possible.

• This is how you could work with an imported dwg file (correctly drawn)

Your model now contains a lot of raw geometry

wdi-06

These would be the steps

2 Likes