Curved Roof - Very difficult!

I’m trying to create a cured roof and it’s proving quite difficult!

For now I have made the roof by triangulating points on 3 arc lines, however it’s not neat or accurate and it needs a depth as currently it has a single plane surface.

I’ve been looking at the loft tool, but it doesn’t seem to be installing and if it’s even the right tool.

Follow me does not work - for whatever reason it follows one of the profiles, but on the opposite end it cuts it narrower than the face I’m using with follow me.

I would recommend Curviloft and Joint Push/Pull by Fredo6. That should be a couple fo clicks to create with those extensions.

Curviloft:
2017-08-01_09-50-46

Joint Push/Pull:
2017-08-01_09-52-07

1 Like

@stocks1990 Is this what you are trying to do? I just used a curve and Follow Me.

curved roof

@stocks1990 The method shown by @simoncbevans does work, however in his GIF note how the face moves off the red axis after the Follow Me operation. This is because the path (arc) needs to be perpendicular to the face for Follow Me to work as intentioned.(in this case the FIRST SEGMENT of the arc needs to be flat on the blue axis and 90 deg to the red axis.

I did an example to show the difference, its something to take into account. (I see there a number of other ways shown, the choice is yours.)

Thanks for the replies!

I’ve uploaded the profiles which I’m trying to work this in with.

Using Curviloft, I can’t quite get it to work whereby the profiles stay within the edges of the curves.

Please can you take a look and see where I might be going wrong? (note that the ends of the roof are both gable and those curves need extending. AFAIK there isn’t a way to extend curves in SU? (compared to Autocad for instance)Roof.skp (24.0 KB)

Before continuing with anything you have 2 problems I feel you should look at:

First, are working in a very strange orientation. Look at the screenshot your geometry is placed on the red/blue plane, when it is the norm to model on the red green plane. The highlighted (yellow) one is a copy I have placed to show you this.

Secondly, you have primitive geometry on a layer other than layer 0. SketchUp layers are not like AutoCAD layers and have a basic set of rules. Layer 0 must remain the active layer at all times, this way the primitive geometry (faces and edges) will be on layer 0 to start with, and must stay on layer 0. The geometry is either made into a group or component, then the groups/components are assigned to layers.

1 Like

If you are working with a true radius (not an elliptical plan) - I would build the ridge as the controlling line, then make the profile of the roof, and use follow me to create a triangular pitched donut.

Make it a component, verify is is solid, then use the solid tools to trim off the excess parts of the donut that you do not need.

Keep everything aligned and referenced to a center point. I’d actually make a group that is the controlling arcs (or circles) with a mark for the center, and lock it. Then keep it in the drawing for later.

Bonus points - if this is to actually be built and framed in the real world - you can play with the number of segments of the arc so that the faceted roof surface that is created aligns to where your framing members would go… on my Round Barn project I figured out how many segments I needed on the 80’ diameter footprint to get framing studs roughly 16" on center. When I did the framing drawings I was able to use the end points of the segments to place the studs.

Going from what Bmike said here’s an extension of the Follow Me idea, trimming the ends.

Is there an alternative to Solid tools? We only have the free version of SU 2015, unfortunately. This looks much simpler than intersecting faces!

Since this roof appears to be based on curves and a center point, it seems you could just radial copy a rafter/truss, and a skin where the sheathing would go and you’re off to the races. I used 2° and that worked okay. It gets a little wacky at the far end but still doable. I don’t know the original intent.

Shep

The ‘Solid Tools’ plugin was only used to trim the roof, you can use the native ‘Intersect Faces’ and then delete the unwanted faces and lines.

intersecting faces.avi (2.0 MB)

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.