Creating contours from geo location

I need to create contour lines of a site. I have geo located, grabbed the site and clicked on view terrains.
Drew a square outside the area of the terrain map and dragged it down to the lowest corner of the terrain map. Created a group from the square and the copied it vertically at 5’ intervals until it covered the terrain map. Selected the array, dragged it aside then created a group from the selected array. Selected the terrain map, unlocked and exploded it. Dragged the layers of array over to encase the terrain map.
Selected the entire array and then clicked intersect faces with model. When I select the array and hide it the terrain map hides too. I have also tried intersecting the faces with selection and the terrain map still hides. Help

You’re doing way too much grouping. Try the following steps and see how you get on.

1. Import the location and turn on the terrain layer.
  2. Draw a large rectangle on the ground plane around the terrain… Make it larger than the terrain.
  3. Move it down if needed so it is below the lowest part of the terrain.
  4. With the rectangle selected, use move/Copy to copy it up in 5’ increments. Make the first copy at 5’ and then hit xn where n is the number of copies you need so the top one is above the highest part of the terrain.
  5. Select all of the faces and the terrain (Ctrl+A).
  6. Right click on the selection and choose Intersect Faces>With Selection.
  7. After the intersections have completed, drag left to right selection boxes around the outside edges of the rectangles to select just those edges.
  8. Hit Delete to get rid of them.
  9. If you want to hide the terrain, just turn off its layer in the Layers window.
  10. If you want to make a group of the contours, do it now. There’s no need to make any groups before this.

Fantastic, it worked!! What an amazing piece of software. Thank you sir

It worked fairly well however it’s not creating contours for the entire area I grabbed.

I tried it two different times and it’s missing a section of the site. Any suggestions?

How about sharing the skip file so we can see what is missing?

Ok hear you go>

Baseball Field Prelim 7 Oct 2016.skp (2.9 MB)

Why did you explode the terrain? You shouldn’t have done that. It’s screwing things up. Can you give me the SKP file from right after the import of the location?

I tried grabbing just the corner that wasn’t producing contour lines and setting the

layers at 2’ intervals. It still produces the same results. For some reason the date must not be there

for the upper left corner.

Baseball Field Prelim 7 Oct 2016.skp (2.9 MB)

Here it is

Baseball Field Prelim II 7 Oct 2016.skp (2.07 MB)

Baseball Field Prelim.skp (2.4 MB)

I wound up grabbing the terrain based on your original and the lat/lon in Model Info?Location. Then I followed the steps I gave before. The only thing I changed was I made the contours a component instead of a group.

There are two crucial aspects:

1. make sure the rectangular face you use is larger than the terrain and located fully underneath it.
  2. pay attention as you delete so that you don’t accidentally delete a contour.

Here is what I got for 5’ coutours (no particular reference for 0 and not flattened to a single plane):

Baseball Field Prelim II 7 Oct 2016.skp (2.1 MB)

Good to bring up those aspects, Steve. I figured my step 2 should cover them.

… and of course you could have just installed and used my
http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=ContourMaker
Which automates this, provided you have ‘grouped’ the surface…
:wink:

TIG, I thought about mentioning your extension, but I always like to teach a newbie how to do a task using basic SketchUp tools so that they truly understand what is going on (and also have a deeper appreciation of how the extension saves them work)!

Can you save is as sketchup 2015?

The file I upload is saved as SU2015 already.

When in the process did you create the component?

[quote=“slbaumgartner, post:14, topic:31802, full:true”]
TIG, I thought about mentioning your extension, but I always like to teach a newbie how to do a task using basic SketchUp tools so that they truly understand what is going on (and also have a deeper appreciation of how the extension saves them work)!
[/quote] I agree with learning the basics… but, sometimes I crack, when the going gets tough…:wink:

In the last step (step 10 in my list) when I said you could group the contours. I just made a component instead of a group.

Here you go:

Baseball Field Prelim II 7 Oct 2016.skp (2.1 MB)