Creating a Complex Historically Accurate Dynamic Window Assembly

Yeah, I didn’t know what terminology to use, but I think that’s what I was trying to get at. Additionally, being able to reference percentages of the globals by basically typing in long math problems was key. So happy to have worked this thing out!

1 Like

Model updated to include the interior trim. Once you get the hang of it the dynamic components features are really straight forward and clear cut

1 Like

Folks, let me derive this a bit:

I once thought the mantra of my windows would be a DC workflow… I worked hard on that until the thing worked seamlessly. It was a very convoluted component but it worked.

I now use a different method instead, based on regular components: fredo scale’s box stretch from target.

It’s way faster and you can fit a window in place so fast and model it so easily that it beats any DC.

It made my window DC’s totally irrelevant.

I hope you don’t feel I’m deviating too much or that I mean bot well, but I traveled this DC path just to find it useless for my actual work nowadays.

2 Likes

Let me derive a bit more: :grinning:

I have followed the path as well, developing a ‘softspot’ for the DC, and worked hard, failed twice as many and continually having to cope with problems I absolutely have the faintest idea of what is going on.

I tend to use the DC’s solely for ‘metadata’ at the end, for (power) users as yourself there are indeed faster ways of getting a window scaled/remodelled from scratch.

but that is not the point.

Typically, designers want to vary, builders don’t.
Architect/Designers want their creations look great, builders just want to know the size

And then there is all in between.

Not all of us are using SketchUp on a daily base. Why shouldn’t the carpenter on the floor, who has used SketchUp sporadically, have the ability to scale a window without going to the Extension Warehouse/SketchUcation etc.

To each their own, to teach and grow!

2 Likes

So, Even though I got the model to work, I’m running into trouble actually using it now that I’ve added the trim and sill. In adding these, the outer shell/outer parameters increased in size and as a result the scale grips moved beyond the window jamb.

Now I can’t figure out how to insert the window into a rough opening and scale the assembly to fit the perpendicular corner of the rough opening.

Here’s how it worked prior to adding the trim and sill:

Here’s how it works now:

Is there a way to scale from just a portion of a dynamic component, with the intent of having the rest follow?

I created a new thread for this since I figured it was a separate issue, but no one has commented yet, so I figured I’d try here.

Are there not any SketchUp Sages or Learned Ones that are knowledgable about dynamic components?

Anyone???

I downloaded it and it looks pretty straight forward. once I get a little spare time I will recreate it and share the model

1 Like

That would be so so so so so so so so great! Just to clarify, this is to get the scale grips to line up with the Jamb (not the trim, or sash), right?

I believe when scaling the component position is fixed at the edge of the component rather than the axis origin. A way to work around that is to us global variables instead of scaling. I’m not aware of a way to scale from the component axis origin.

1 Like

I think the challenge there is that the rough openings that these window assemblies go into are highly varied. On a typical structure, there may be 20 different rough opening dimensions. Having to measure and enter values would add substantial time over the coarse of 20 windows, not to mention the time it would take to figure out how to get the DC to ready for this strategy.

I can’t be the first person w this problem. Surely there’s a work around, right?

If I understood you correctly I am the business man.

If I understand you correctly I am the fisherman.

1 Like

It’s beyond my ability but I know that it might be possible because if you look at the ‘Wallcutter’ extension by ‘FlexTools’ it does almost what you are requesting. With that extension you can create a window component with concrete cill sub-component, and you can exclude this sub-component from cutting the wall and therefore use the scale handles to scale the window to the size required.

Edit: After examining that extension further it looks like the scale handles are inclusive of the wider cill sub-component but the wall cut can be exclusive of the sub-component. So sorry it doesn’t achieve what you are looking for in a dynamic component. I too would love to be able to achieve what you require in a dynamic window component.

1 Like

Not that I know of.

after going a few post’s back and had another look at what you are trying to do i saw that i wouldn’t be able to adjust the scale handles. the only way i can see it work is just doing what @Neil_Burkholder mentioned.

I have no access to my desktop at present but I can answer your first question.

Start with the internal height available for both sashes, ie the height from top of cull to underside of frame head. The joinery to be accommodated is the head rail of the top sash, the bottom rail of the bottom sash, and the height of the meeting rails (which are normally the same for both sashes). What is left is the combined height of the two panels of glass. Dividing that by two tells you the pane height. From that you can work out the height of each sash. I have ignored fitting tolerances. You can work out the formulae required and use them in the DC.

Can I ask you how did make the interactive numbers on the window demonstration??

Thanks

What do you mean the interactive numbers?

Thanks for your reply.
How can you make a 3d interactive illustration same as the link?

Oh, that’s the annotation feature through SketchFab.com. I wish you could do something like that in SketchUp. I suppose you could hand build them in SU on circles with a texture and like 80% opacity or something?