Create Complex Wall Surface

Hey-

I am designing an auditorium for my architecture studio class, and I want to use an acoustical wall surface like this:

The look achieved will be very similar to the background on the SketchUp homepage; I don’t really know what to call it. Origami? “Geometric” is way too generic. It doesn’t need to be acoustically accurate for this project.

I know I could do it manually, just draw the lines and move the points, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an extension that could help do it faster and with more complexity. This will wrap around both walls and the ceiling. Thanks!

Chris

There are a lot of designs for acoustic walls. After playing around a bit, I decided to use a hexagonal tile. To make things easy, I started with a hexagon and modified it into separate components. This ended up looking good with a minimal amount of effort.

This video shows the steps I used to make the grid: Hexagonal Acoustic Tile Pattern Using SketchUp - YouTube

Thanks, that’s a good suggestion. I’m going for something more organic- I
think I’ll have to experiment with a real (physical) model!

If you’re looking for random orientations & rotations, Sculpt Tools plugin is perfect for you. It triangulates the faces as your purpose.
I made below image with it, started with a simple grid plane. Then used Random Select plugin to select faces randomly. (You can add/change materials as required later if actual tiny 3D holes aren’t necessary on the mesh)

That looks very promising- thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.