Crash on explode group (of imported .dxf)

The point I was making is that your computer is unable to cope with the complexity of the shape. So for future you should look at breaking it down into workable chunks. Which is why I gave you everything rather than just the finished result.
The unbent parts are there for you to see if they work without crashing on your PC.

1 Like

I expect your graphics card is the bottleneck. Might be worth considering a better graphics card. The one you list in your profile is rather low performing according to the benchmark sites out there.

Breaking it up seems to have helped, thanks!

I have asked my company to provide a graphics card with 4GB minimum, you think I need a stronger one?

Absolutely a new graphics card would help. Get a current Nvidia GeForce GTX or RTX series card.

Example comparison: Quadro T1000 vs GeForce RTX 3080 Ti [in 3 benchmarks]

Thanks! I have quoted your replies in an Email to our tech department and they told me they’d make sure the card gets swapped somewhere in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Good deal. I don’t think my post should be marked as the solution. I think that should still go to the post by Box.

I would have said the post where I chopped things up was the solution as it was what was needed to resolve your current issue, not necessarily what was asked in the title, all somewhat ambiguous.
But as usual I had a fiddle

1 Like

The model will actually be used to 3D print a texture roll :slight_smile: But I have to say, it’s frutrating to see how much a lacking machine can hinder productivity.

I’ve been to the company that provides our tech support and they have tested the model with a GTX 1070 . The GPU shows 0% usage, it’s fan didn’t even turn on and there was no heat generating from the card itself. At this rate I’m starting to consider alternative programms to start working with… Any ideas what the problem might be as it’s not hardware related?

And to clarify: the onboard graphics card has been turned OFF in the BIOS.

I don’t have a suggestion for another program to use although. In what software was the .dxf created?

I highly doubt it’s the file convertor… If @Box is handling the model on the machine with the specs in his profile then I should have no trouble doing the same with the sppecs we tested with. The tech company thinks it’s software related?

EDIT: It’s not just this model, we’ve tested with architecture models from the 3D warehouse as well, same results perfomance wise.

I didn’t say or imply that at all.

Maybe not but that would also imply that it’s not a SketchUp problem since you’re both using the same version.

That’s exactly what I’d like to find out, I really hope there is a solution to this wether hardware, software or any other type… It just doesn’t make any sense to me. All hardware statistics in the task manager show 0% usage during the whole process except for the CPU which shows 4 out of 16 cores used.

I think that should be a red flag.

SketchUp is a single core application. What else is running to occupy the other cores?

We thought so too at first, but we ran a benchmark tool and the GPU started to show usage as per usual. No clue about the cores, but the total usage of the CPU sits between 1% and 4%. As I said, I don’t think it’s hardware related.

I didn’t realise you were using my profile to troubleshoot or I would have said earlier, I only just changed machines and haven’t updated my profile yet. Still haven’t fully changed over.
I was working on your model with a 32 Gig i9 with Nvidia RTX 2080. It still crashed if I wasn’t careful, the complexity of all those segments is at the edge of usability in Sketchup. No way I could have done what I did on my old system.

Well, that till doesn’t clarify why my task manager shows 0% usage on the machine parts…

Also, the performance was identical with the T1000 compared to the GTX 1070.

One important consideration is that many of the edge segments in your model are quite a bit shorter than 0.1 mm. I selected one at random. It’s 0.027 millimiters long; about half the diamter of a human hair. That’s going to be an issue. What kind of 3D printer is going to be able to print to that kind of resilution?

I think you selected the file before I cleaned it up using the Curvizard extension. I couldn’t even pan around before the cleanup.